Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

paul bunyan 1/2IM, Oscoda MI
Quote | Reply
i know this is probably a long shot, but has anyone out there done the paul bunyan 1/2 IM in Oscoda MI (Tom Demerly or someone from the shop maybe?). i'm thinking of signing up for this race and was looking for some feedback (positive or negative) regarding the course, how the race was run, or anything else of relevance. thanks!

les.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: paul bunyan 1/2IM, Oscoda MI [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 1/2 IM race this year and the olympic distance the year before. The swim is in Van Ettan Lake and the water quality was good. The bike course is newly paved with very little traffic, fairly flat and fast with a couple of hills but nothing very difficult. I'm not a great climber and I did it with a 12-21 cassette and only used the bottom gear a couple of times. Although there were several well manned bottle drop/exchanges on the bike course the weather was cool enough that I never had to pick up a bottle and just used what I had in my aerobottle and 2 behind the seat. The run goes through the old airforce base on pavement for a few miles with absolutely no shade and flatter than a pancake. Then it heads off on a dirt road/trail through the woods and finishes back on pavement. There were a couple of rocky/sandy sections. I'm no great trail runner but I didn't feel a need to wear anything but my road shoes. There were well manned aid stations every mile with Gatorade, water, gels and maybe some powerbars etc.

This was my first 1/2 IM so I don't have much to compare it to. I think it was a well run event and certainly had a more relaxed atmosphere, was more fun and less chaotic than Mrs. T's in Chicago. I would consider doing it again this year.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a buddy that did this race last year and said it was great. In fact we have both decided to do the race this year. The only problem he said were the volunteers were a bit on the light side but my guess is that is normal for the first year of a race.

Course looks to be great. Some of the run is on dirt road.

Give it a shot should be a great time. Oscoda is a beautiful spot esp in the summer. If you don't want to do the Bunyan check out the Steelhead in Sept in Benton Harbor. Swim is in Lake Michigan and it is a completely closed course with some IM qualifer spots (IM CA, ID & FL). I am planning on doing both eventhough they are a month apart.

Which brings up another question. Is it out of the realm of reality to attempt two 1/2's that are a month apart?
Quote Reply
Re: paul bunyan 1/2IM, Oscoda MI [LMS11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys! that's what i wanted to hear - just wanted to be sure they had it put together right. i know organizing a race isn't easy, but nothing is more frustrating then a poorly executed event. be safe and i'll see you there!

les.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I did not persoanlly do the race many of customers did and we got overwhelmingly positive feedback, especially on the bike course- which everyone loved.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this race last year and had a great time. I had spent several years on the old Air Force Base as a kid and thought it would be a good way to see what was going on in the area.

Kenny and his wife from 3 Disciplines did a fantastic job. It was the first year and were minor hic cups but it was one of the better 1/2 ironman's I have done.

The swim is like any other swim. Water conditions are clear with a few weeds at the start point. Kenny has the option of going either right or left depending on the winds so he is flexible.

If they do the same course as last year, the bike is pretty flat. There are a total of 2 or 3 hills, but because of the way they have done the loops you get some of it back on the on the reverse section. When you go out along the Ausable River, I found that it got sort of lonely; I didn't think I would ever see the leaders! Great support by the locals for aid stations and safety along the route. Lots of voluteers on Ham radios.

Run was mixed. You run on a combination of paved roads, rail road grade type of road with those rocks just big enough to roll an ankle and the forest two track. You have to pay attention in some spots, but the scenery and cool of the forest trees made it nice. The run route may be a bit different this year because the state was doing some geology stuff and Kenny didn't want any runners getting blown up or startled.

All of the aid station volunteers were great (as usual) with the majority being from the local high school sports teams. Most of the football players were getting ready to start practice and thought we were all crazy. There were plenty of Aid stations and the volunteers figured out what they were supposed to do real quick.

The transition area is easy to get to (no long distance walks)and they took excellent care of the athleats at the end; ice water towels on the neck, a place to sit and some one to bring you the food reward of your choice. The awards were done later that evening.

It is a relatively cheap area for accomodations $80 with a room on Lake Huron (that cold water was great recovery for the legs!)

No race is perfect, but I think Kenny did a great job for the first 1/2 ironman distance race in Michigan. I would be going back this year, but it doesn't work out with IMoo. Go for it and have a great race and vacation.[reply][email]

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply