Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glue or tape???
Quote | Reply
I decided to buy some new tubulars this season and I was just about to order some Tufo sealant and some glue from Trisports.com when I read a little about the tape thing. Which is better.....for triathletes?

I have never thought of gluing a tire to be that difficult or messy, but the tape thing sounds REALLY easy! Will I be able to rip off a tubular tire in the case of a flat just as I would if I had used glue? I know that when I glue a tubular on I leave a section without glue just for this reason. Could I cut the tape and put sections? Thanks for any input.

Steven Montoya
Quote Reply
Re: Glue or tape??? [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I searched the posts and found a good thread on this same subject but it still left some questions unanswered. Has anyone ever had a flat with the tape and if so what was it like? Do I need to carry tape with me during races?
Quote Reply
Re: Glue or tape??? [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, the Tufo tape is much stronger than most glue jobs. Good from the standpoint of adding confidence that you won't roll your tire, but it is definitely a struggle to pull the tire back off in a hurry.

I used it on an older wheel and decided to pull the tire off and bring it as a spare on a trip. I wound up needing to use that tire for my race tire, and felt that the tape was still sticky enough to re-use (factoring in that it was the day before race day and it would have been tough to do a good job of cleaning the rim). The tape sticks to the tire like crazy.

I'd use it again, although like you say I might try to leave a little gap to help get started. Better than a gap might be to partially de-sticky a small section of tape...a gap might make the wheel a little less round since the tape is pretty thick.
Quote Reply
Re: Glue or tape??? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Any more tips/experience would be great.
Quote Reply