Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginner triathlon clinic today.
Quote | Reply
I'm helping Jim and Joyce Donaldson of Elite Endeavors today with their Beginner Triathlon Clininc at the Livonia, Michigan YMCA. It sounds like fun. I'll give you guys a report if anyone is interested.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner triathlon clinic today. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom I am helping some first time triathletes in teh medical school by doing a workshop with them. We already have someone covering swimming, biking, and runnign individuallly. However I was going to do somenthing on the intagibles of tri.

Here is my "curriculum"

Setting up your transition area
T1 and T2
Clothing
Body glide
GU
Tube change
elastic shoelaces

Any other sugestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that many people will read/benefit from it, both begginers and people helping begginers. I say write it up.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Why not try to do such a clinic at LIFETIME FITNESS? (especially considering your bike team partnership)

LTF has everything needed for a good clinic and I'm sure there would be an overwhelming particpation level. Tons of people frequenting LTF know about TRIATHLON, it could be a truly eyeopening event!

Good way to spread the word about Grosse Ile as well... oh, and BikeSport of course!

Just a thought...
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner triathlon clinic today. [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> the intagibles of tri.<<

Good list Taku. You might want to add some information on where to go for questions they have later, or might be too afraid to ask in a group setting. Include both online resources, and if you are in a club, a short list of experienced people who don't mind being peppered with questions, either in person or via email. I've found that questions often come up later. I rode with our newbie bunch again yesterday and it's a thrill to see them all improve on the bike each week.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner triathlon clinic today. [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be ready for the unexpected.

Have a goal, whether it be time, placement, or just finish. The first race I did, I came out of the water in the middle of the pack and prceeded to sit down, have a drink, towel off, carefully fold up my wetsuit, watch everyone around me scramble. T1 time - over 5 minutes (in a sprint)!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner triathlon clinic today. [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I had done that, I got caught up in the excitement, nobody explained how everything worked and I exited the transition area at the wrong end for the run. If I had taken a minute I would have seen where everyone was going, I realized my mistake after I exited and saw all the others running the other way. Top it off, it was the Willow Duathlon last year, of course I was one of the guys that went long on the bike. Taught me an important lesson, always review the course yourself!!.

Jim

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a noob myself I'm definitely interested in hearing about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Just got back a while ago. Whew- long day! WE had 10 people in the class. It wasn't publisized too much so thei was kind of a "dry run".

Our curriculum closely resembled the one Taku spells out here with some time in the pool for stroke analysis and teaching drills.

Then we covered all the pertinent training/racing topics.

Even though it was a long clinic (8 am-5 pm) our audience stuck with us and told us they got a lot out of it.

It was a lot of fun too- always fun to see the light bulb go off over beginner's heads and see them get excited about our sport.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply