Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerBar founder dies
Quote | Reply
SAN ANSELMO, California (AP) -- Brian Maxwell, founder of the multimillion-dollar PowerBar empire and a former world-class marathon runner, has died of a heart attack, friends said. He was 51.

Maxwell collapsed Friday at a post office, and emergency personnel were unable to resuscitate him after workers called 911. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Maxwell and his wife Jennifer, a nutritionist, co-founded the popular energy bar company in 1986 and began selling PowerBars out of their kitchen.

Over the next decade, the Berkeley, California-based firm grew to $150 million in sales and 300 employees. In March 2000, the couple sold the company to Nestle SA for a reported $375 million.

Maxwell, who was born in London but grew up in Toronto, represented Canada in many international competitions as a long-distance runner. He was part of the 1980 Olympic team that boycotted the games in Moscow.

In 1977 Maxwell was ranked the No. 3 marathon runner in the world by Track and Field News.

Maxwell came up with the idea of an energy bar after he had to drop out of a 26.2-mile marathon race at the 21-mile mark -- about the point where experts say the body ceases burning carbohydrates and begins burning muscle tissue.

Maxwell is survived by his wife and five children.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerBar founder dies [greensneakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that is a real shame. They are a true giant in the industry and support tri and many other sports. My condolances to his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, what a shocking loss!!

Brian and I competed on the same team at Canadian National Cross Country Championships back in 1978 when I was just a high schooler and he was a road racing stud. Brian was then one of my first sponsors when I first started competing in triathlons at the same time that he had started building the Powerbar empire.

So hard to imagine he is gone at such a young age. His contributions to the sporting world, and to me personally will never be forgotten.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so truly sad. What an empire. He invented a product category.

I liked this guy. I loved his little company when it first started. To this day, I still think the Powerbar perfromance is the best energy bar.

How sad. At least we were lucky to have him as long as we did. His contribution to society will live well beyond his years.

My deepest sympathy to Jennifer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply