Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

F.A.S.T. is fast! Awesome swim workout.
Quote | Reply
If you are coming through Michigan or live in Southeastern Michigan you have to catch a F.A.S.T. (Ford Athletic Swim and Triathlon) swim workout. Matt Myers puts these together and they are an ass kicker.

Vince from this forum turned me on to them (another Slowtwitch benefit!) and I can't thank him enough. There are three people in the workout this morning doing IM Austria- Jon Logan, Sandy Logan, and me.

Thanks Vince!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: F.A.S.T. is fast! Awesome swim workout. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of us not in the neighborhood, how bout some workout details?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: F.A.S.T. is fast! Awesome swim workout. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this morning our lane, which contained, among others, my displaced brother Jon Logan (sadly for Jon and his wife, he and I bare an uncanny resemblance) did something like this:

1 X 200 warm-up

4 repeats of the following set:

2 X 50 Free.

8 X 50 kicking, no fins.

4 X 50 not freestyle (we mostly did backstroke and breast stroke).

1 X 200 free.

End of repeat sets.

-some kind of accelrating sets of 50's (forgot).

200 cool down.

That was from memory, and someone told me it totalled about 3700 yards or 2.1 miles.

That's a good workout for a lightweight swimmer like me.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty good workout, period. Cool, thanks!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: F.A.S.T. is fast! Awesome swim workout. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. We need to get one of the F.A.S.T. guys on here to recount specifically what it was. All I remember for certain is the 3700 yards part. The rest is from my hazy, working on three hours of sleep, got up too early memory.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang! I missed this Saturday's workout because I was out of town. Last week's workout was pretty good too going through that set 3 times.

I don't know why you say you're slow in the water. You looked pretty fast in lane 4 last week.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8x50 kick? Good grief!! On what time? and do it 4 times? I'm terrible at kicking, so a little is a lot for me, but that sounds like A LOT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

Nice workout. A lot of short stuff. My coach has me doing sets that are a little longer. I wonder if I am swimming sets that are too long...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, my pleasure to have you along Tom. Here is the details of my lane's workout. Should be close to what Tom swam.

Warm-Up 200 swim, 200 kick, 200 swim

8 x 50 kick (easy down, hard back) @ YP

4 x 600 ( 5 x 50 @ 1:10 non-free
1 x 50 @ 1:10 free
2 x 100 @ 2:10 non-free
1 x 100 @ 2:10 non-free) no breaks between 600's

8 x 50 @ 50 free (descending 1-3; 4-6)

1 x 200 cool down

-----------------------------------------------

4000 total yds.

I am teaching myself the "new" way to breaststroke, which is much faster than how I learned to swim it some 30 years ago, but it is much more exahuasting. I ended up only doing the first off-stroke set breaststroke and the rest backstroke.

Vince
Quote Reply
Re: F.A.S.T. is fast! Awesome swim workout. [luvmytrek2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I'll tell you- I can't kick worth a darn either. Drives me nuts. I damn near go backwards. The kicking was hard, my right arm got a good workout pulling me along the lane markers so I didn't slow the lane down too much.

Most of the people in there are better swimmers than I, which is exactly what I need.

Matt Myers, who designs the workouts, does a super job of tailoring each lane's workouts to the swimmer's ability and also putting together some uniquely challenging workouts.

I was chatting with smtyrrell on this forum, an excellent athlete and a really smart guy (he turned me on to DeSoto T1 wetsuits along with Dan) and smtyrrell was saying "You can't get this good of a workout on your own." I quite agree.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have recently read that a lot of kicking speed comes from the "flex" in your ankle. The further you can comfortably point your toes, the faster you can kick. I understand that fins are supposed to help you develop this flexability. I too am a poor flutter kicker and I have been working on this flexability during my own daily regimine.

Vince
Quote Reply