Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt water pools?
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned something about salt water pools in another thread. . .Anyone know where there is one?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water pools? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One near New York. It's called the Atlantic.

They also have another in California- the Pacific.

OK, I apologize..... I couldn't resist.

Anyway, what is the benefit of a salt water pool? Is it an alternative to chlorine? Is it for acclimation to swimming in salt water? Very interesting.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's one at a resort in Cuba that I stayed at one time. Didn't realize it and jumped in with my eyes open. Ouch did that sting.

Don't know what the purpose is to a salt pool. Must be a cheaper substiute for chlorine or maybe they can fill them easier with ocean water.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water pools? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way it was explained to me is that chlorine has the bacteria killing attributes but carries along the undesirable characteristics or smell, hair damage, swimsuit deterioration, ... The salt systems work by dumping a huge amount of salt in to the pool and letting it dissolve. The electrical system then separates the Na from the Cl and the chloride has the bacteria killing properties without the side effects of chlorine. If it's set up correctly the water will have a slight salt taste, but it is not like being in the ocean. Several people in my neighborhood have the systems as well as other mineral-type water conditioning systems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is one in Dinard, Normandy...but it may cost you to get there :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water pools? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AH HA HA HA HA HA HA. Ha.

Tom, you're a chowderhead.

Dunno what the benefits are supposed to be- I'd never heard of salt water pools before. I just think it'd be cool to swim in one.

Not cool enough to travel to Cuba or Normandy, though. Anyone know of one stateside?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's one here in seattle, it's open in the summer only. swimming in puget sound can be a filthy proposition, and this pool is right on the beach.

sawyer
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water pools? [sawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sign me up for the Sawyer fan club! Seattle is within a days drive, and the wife has been wanting to take a weekend there anyway. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a FIST certified fitter out there, right? Awesome! What's the name or address of the pool?

Thanks, Sawyer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's in lincoln park in west seattle, check it out here: http://www.cityofseattle.net/.../Aquatics/colman.htm i've been running through the park a few times but haven't swam in the pool. heated though, wow...

sawyer
Quote Reply
Re: Salt water pools? [sawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have one at the YMCA in Oceanside CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's at Lincoln Park in Seattle (West Seattle). It's called Colman Pool (or Coleman, at least I'm close). It's near the Vashon Ferry. Going at Lap swim time can be interesting as it's pretty crowded and some of the lap swimmers are there to swim and not be polite. It's right on the beach though. It's about a .5 mile walk from the parking lot to the pool. Don't know of anyone FIST certified up here.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parnell Baths in Auckland NZ. It's right across the road from the harbour. Great outlook. Watching the container ships going by is good fun. It's outdoors so shuts down in winter. They simply filter the water from the harbour I think and don't do any heating except passive solar.

It's a strange pool. An old 66 yard pool (59 metres) so it's hard to check your normal splits.

I have my PB for 1500m there. A group of us got together in our wetsuits (needed for the early season swim) in the salt water. We did 2 lengths at the front each, then pacelined to the back of the group of 5. It was great. Hammer for 2 lengths and then get dragged along for 8 lengths. We were all quite close in speed so managed to take our PB's from 23 minute range to 20:30! I've improved my swimming since then but my solo PB is still over a minute behind that day from several years ago.

Great fun. Get some friends together, preferably inwetsuits ina saltwater pool and hammer out 1500m. You'll feel like a hero!.

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply