Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon
Quote | Reply
Anybody knows about those wheels, ridden them?

About the same price as zipp404 but better hubs, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

About the same price as zipp404 but better hubs, right?
Velomax has the best hubs+spokes setup in the bike world. I would imagine that attaching them to 404s would be a ripping sweet wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a handful of Velomax and a few Zipp hubs fail. Perhaps the thing to do is to get a pair of the Zipp rims laced to your favorite bombproof hub.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have any experience with their hubs?

I'm curious to know the difference between their R3 hubs and Zipps....

Zipp claims they have such great hubs, but would be curious to know the real differences....
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've watched Clark Rasmussen (Velomax founder) take a prototype apart in his garage to show me. (he was going to call it VO2max Wheels back then).

The hubs are made like jet engine parts, on the same CNC gear. Almost over-engineered. When you pick one up, you want to just set it on a mahogany shelf and stare at it instead of use it. Like a Swiss watch.

But, I digress. Maybe one has failed somewhere, but it's hard to imagine. I have three years on my oldest one (rear), and I have a buddy with three years and twenty thousand miles on a pair. He weighs 215 and has done zero service to the hub or the spokes. He rides in rain and mud and on fire roads and has pulled a trailer on a loaded touring bike from Portland to San Diego.

I have 404s with Zipp hubs, but honestly -- they have less than 250 miles on them. Races only, so I really don't know if they are durable. If Velomax had been making their 404 rimmed-wheels when I got my race wheels, I certainly would have bought the Velomax instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really interesting - thanks.

Does Zipp make the rims for Velomax for these wheels?

Any chance you can convince the owner of Velomax to hop on and join the forum????
Quote Reply
Re: Velomax Company, Inc. Tempest II Tubular Carbon [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's really interesting - thanks.

Does Zipp make the rims for Velomax for these wheels?

Any chance you can convince the owner of Velomax to hop on and join the forum????

Yes, they are Zipp rims. Very nice rims.

I don't know what Clark R is up to anymore. I even did a search of masters track results and don't see him in recent years. When I knew him (early 90s) he was a top-5 pursuit rider in the 50-54 bracket.

I don't know the story of why the company was sold.
Quote Reply