Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak?
Quote | Reply
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/.../stories/06local.htm

"Poison Oak, 35, of Aptos, said he wanted to "reclaim the flag. Not only those who support President George W. Bush can wave the red white and blue.""

I wonder if this guy's parents were that cruel or did he just think that Poison Oak would be a cool and original name. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, this guy was at a flag burning party after all, but holy crap Poison Oak?
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often wonder if parents think about what their child will go through with a name like that?

It's cool and different and everything, for the parents, but I'm pretty sure they are the only ones they thought about when they named him/her?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen,
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name.

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue."

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had,
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss,
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first,
He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile.

And he said: "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you "Sue.'"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And I came away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name! "

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the possibility that he changed his own name to Poison Oak and his parents had nothing to do with it. Maybe he was born Jimmy Bob Jackson, or something like that, and he decided that was just too "red state" a name to have.

It's like that (in)famous tree-sitting protester who's only known as "Butterfly". I think she may still be in a tree in Oregon protesting logging operations there. Or was she in LA a couple weeks ago protesting the closure of that community garden? (Serious question - I think I read her name somewhere in an article about that issue.)

Who knows?

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
19° 38’ 11.08” N 155° 59’ 30.66” W
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider the possibility that he changed his own name to Poison Oak and his parents had nothing to do with it.

My original post specifically states this as a possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to slow down and read... :-)

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
19° 38’ 11.08” N 155° 59’ 30.66” W
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How 'bout Frank Zappa. He named a son Dweezil, and a daughter Moon Unit. Do parents do this to gain attention for themselves, or to truly ensure that their progeny are "unique"?

All I know is that if I was a kid growing up with a name like "Poison Oak", in my old neighborhood in Detroit, I'd have been in a schoolyard fight every day of my life ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe his given name was Clarence or Francis ... you have to admit, Poison Oak is better than those two names ... even on the "Butt-Kicked-O-Meter".

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also in attendance at the flag burning were Sha Lar and Igliashon Jones. Who named them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julia Butterfly Hill From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Julia Butterfly Hill in the redwood tree Luna. This article is about Julia Butterfly Hill. For the species of butterfly, see Dryas julia.

Julia Butterfly Hill (born February 18, 1974) is an American activist and environmentalist. Hill is best known for living in a 180-foot-tall, 600-year-old California Redwood tree for 738 days between December 10th, 1997 and December 18th, 1999. Hill lived in the tree, named "Luna", to prevent loggers of the Pacific Lumber Company from cutting it down. Hill lived in a small 6-by-8-foot shelter that she had built with help of other volunteers.

A native of Jonesboro, Arkansas, Hill suffered a mild brain injury in a car crash a year before her tree-sitting experience.[1] She embarked on a spiritual quest afterwards, and this eventually lead her to the environmental cause opposed to the destruction of the redwood forest in Humboldt County, California. Originally, Hill was not officially affiliated with any environmental organization, deciding upon herself to undertake the act of civil disobedience. Soon, Hill was actively supported by Earth First!, among other organizations and volunteers.

A resolution was reached in 1999 when the Pacific Lumber Company agreed to preserve Luna and all trees within a 3-acre buffer zone. In exchange, Hill agreed to vacate the tree. In addition, $50,000 that Hill and other activists raised during the cause was given to the logging company (a somewhat controversial action amongst fellow activists), as stipulated by the resolution. Unfortunately, Luna was not completely saved as it was severely slashed with a chainsaw after Hill came down from the tree.

In 1999, Hill and other activists founded the organization Circle of Life Foundation.

Hill was the subject of the 2000 documentary film Butterfly, and she is featured in the documentary film Tree-Sit: The Art of Resistance, both chronicling her time in the redwood tree. Hill also appears as herself in Philip Seymour Hoffman's film Last Party 2000, a 2001 documentary which chronicles the six months leading-up to the 2000 U.S. presidential election. The Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Can't Stop" contains the line "J. Butterfly is in the treetops".

In May 2006, Hill, Daryl Hannah, and Joan Baez were among the activists who took up residence in a walnut tree at the South Central Community Garden, Los Angeles, where they claim working-class immigrants tended crops, but that landowner Ralph Horowitz wished to develop.

Hill is the author of the book The Legacy of Luna and co-author of One Makes the Difference.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Jul 6, 06 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Who in their right minds names their child Poison Oak? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, yeah...I remember "Butterfly" Hill. She was sent up in a mild way in that Rob Schneider movie, "The Animal". The female lead (Colleen-somebody, from the 1st season of "Survivor", I think), was kind of a composite of Hill. The movie spoofed Hill's little tree-sitting act, too.

Why is it that when people meet up with adversity, writers are fond of saying that they then went on a "spiritual quest"? Why don't they ever talk about the 99.999% of people who just pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and get on with their lives? Too boring, I suppose.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, there's Kal-el too...

In Japan, the government stopped a couple from naming their son "Akuma" a few years back. Akuma means the devil in Japanese...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a woman in Wi named "Marijuana Pepsi Cola Jackson" - I shit you not.

and lest we forget "April May June".

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply