Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

National Anthem - No NAtional Pride
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying I'm not anti-American.

I do get frustrated at our lack of pride towards our national anthem though. I was watching teh Italv v German match today and when each contries national anthems were sung. All the player, coaches, fans in the stand all sung it loud and with proud. This goes for both teams, not just the home country Germany.

I still had the Italy vs USA match on my tivo so I went back and watched it. As I figured, the Italian team sung the anthem along with the fans and coaches. The US player just sttod there when ours was sung.

I work in pro sports and see it all the time for the anthem, a few people in the stands will sing it, the players just stand there. When did it become uncool to sing the national anthem?

I just get frustrated by the whole thing. Our "role" models are too good to sing the anthem.

ok, rant over

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: National Anthem - No NAtional Pride [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You needed to watch more games. Many players on many teams were not singing the national anthem. It's hardly unique to the US team.

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have watched the NHL Playoffs this year. The Edmonton fans sung both the Canadian and US (opposing team).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say this from an athlete's and a fan's perspective. As a fan, I love it ... many times I get watery eyes (or "something in my contact"). Whitney Houston's rendition during the Super Bowl of the Gulf Storm years still gets to me. I love singing the anthem, although I'm not sure what I do could be called singing, and I love saying the pledge each day as school starts.

But, as an athlete, and before big games, the anthem can be a distraction. You spend all that time getting mentally focused and concentrating on all the details and mindset that you need to be successful, and if you "get into" the anthem ... it can take you to a completely different, emotional place ... and possibly out of your mindset for the game.

Still, I would rather have the anthem played before games, than not ... but realize that athletes and the spectators are not exactly in comparable situations before the game. It should also be pointed out that those same fans aren't going to let an athlete slide on a substandard performance because the athlete "sang the national anthem".

We need to have realistic expectation and some understanding for our athletes sometimes. There is a difference between comic book heroes and athletes. Comic book heroes aren't real people.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if our anthem wasn't so doggone hard to sing!

Reverisco!
Quote Reply
Re: National Anthem - No NAtional Pride [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll say this from an athlete's and a fan's perspective. As a fan, I love it ... many times I get watery eyes (or "something in my contact").

==============================================================================

TT, I am exactly the same when our anthem is playing, terrible these contacts, aren't they even when thier not in.

I think it depends whether you can play most effectively in a heightened state of arousal or if it tipped you over the edge. Personally, I hate it when I see an athlete not singing along, but that's just me.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people don't know the words...

What bugs me most is flag etiquette. It's amazing how many tacky displays of the flag I saw over the past few days. Flags worn as clothing, flags touching the ground, etc, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I work in pro sports and see it all the time for the anthem, a few people in the stands will sing it, the players just stand there. When did it become uncool to sing the national anthem?

I just get frustrated by the whole thing. Our "role" models are too good to sing the anthem.

It might not be that they're "too good" or it's "uncool." They might feel self-conscious about their singing voices, and as previous posters have mentioned, the Star Spangled Banner isn't the easiest song to sing. Another issue is that many times the person leading the singing will take so many liberties that it's almost impossible to follow or he/she will put it in a ridiculously high key so the average person can't hit the high notes.

In contrast to the Star Spangled Banner, the German anthem is extremely singable. My guess is that since it's obviously designed to be sung, not "performed," the soloists might be more inclined to sing it properly so the fans (and athletes) can sing along.

(FWIW, I'm a classically trained soprano and I always join in singing the Star Spangled Banner when I'm at a sporting event.)

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odd. I always thought that the people who sang along were the weird ones. Count me in as one of the "stand theres".

Do a majority of people really actually sing our anthem? I think I'm doing it much more respect by letting someone who can ACTUALLY sing perform the song and not have me butcher it.
Last edited by: Tyrius: Jul 5, 06 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: National Anthem - No NAtional Pride [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Samuel Johnson defined patriotism as the last resort of a scoundrel. Ambrose Bierce disagreed and said it was the first.

H. L. Mencken trumped them bith with this line....“But there is something even worse: it is the first, last, and middle range of fools.”

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really associate patriotism with someone singing an anthem at a sporting event.

If I don't sing, I certainly don't feel less patriotic than the guy belting out a beer-induced attempt to draw attention to himself.

Maybe it's just me.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got to keep in mind that many of those people have probably been waiting their entire lives to see their country win the World Cup. It's like the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA finals and Olympics wrapped up in one event for them.
Quote Reply
Re: National Anthem - No NAtional Pride [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, if you watched today, only about half of the players of EACH team were singing their national anthem ... some of them appeared to only strat "moving their mouths" once they realized the camera was near there. Naw, surely not.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to sing the anthem, but typically will only when the people areound me do as well. It is a tough one though.

Was anyone at the CDA awards banquet? They had a local 12 year old girl sing it. She was amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: National Anthem - No NAtional Pride [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the military and deployed, and I can't remember the last time I actually sang along with a playing of the Anthem. I'm not sure that singing along is necessarily tied to your national pride. Some people place a hand over their hearts, some sing, some just stand still,...to each his own I guess.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply