Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why the silly overtime rule in soccer?
Quote | Reply
Can anyone fill me in on why FIFA went away from the Golden goal? I'm not seeing why a team should be guaranteed 30 minutes regardless of what happens. The drama that was created by possible game enders was tremendous. Now it's important, but knowing the team has a chance to come back takes away a lot of the drama.

And for coahces or whomever who say the chance to comeback is why there is 30 minutes regardless, well, I would say that if you are that afraid of losing in OT, you should have won the game in regulation.

Anyone able to fill us in?

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Re: Why the silly overtime rule in soccer? [Bluefan75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, too, have no idea why there is not "sudden death". The Ukraine-Switzerland game was horrific to watch. They both seemed resolved to just play it out conservatively and take their chances with penalty kicks. Luckily for me, today, I turned on the Germany-Argentina game just as penalty kicks were starting.

There is not enough "scoring" in soccer (football) to go any way except "sudden death" IMO. It's not like American football overtime where whoever gets the ball first has a huge advantage in winning the game.

I found this at handy-dandy wikipedia:

"In the late 1990s, the IFAB experimented with ways of making matches more likely to end without requiring a penalty shootout, which was often seen as an undesirable way to end a match. These involved rules ending a game in extra time early, either when the first goal in extra time was scored (golden goal), or if one team held a lead at the end of the first period of extra time (silver goal). Golden goal was used at the World Cup in 1998 (France) and 2002 (Japan-South Korea). The first World Cup game decided by a golden goal was France's victory over Paraguay in 1998. In the 1996 European Championships Germany was the first nation to score a golden goal in a major competition, beating Czech Republic in the final. Silver goal was used in Euro 2004 (Portugal). Both these experiments have been discontinued by IFAB."

I know it doesn't say "why", which was what you were asking. I'll dig some more.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Why the silly overtime rule in soccer? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey TT, good to see you. I was wondering why you posting about baseball...until you said you were on your anniversary. Then I couldn't blame you..:-)

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Re: Why the silly overtime rule in soccer? [Bluefan75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also found this (Re: Sepp Blatter)

"The "silver goal" replaced the "golden goal" rule in extra time of play-off matches. Under the "golden goal" rule, the match ends immediately if one side scores in extra time. The "silver goal" rule, however, states that the match will end at the half-time period in extra time if one team is leading – otherwise the match will continue until the end of the extra time period. Some fans however may find that this makes the game less exciting while others felt that it makes the game fairer. In addition, the position of the Sun in the sky and the wind direction may give the side attacking a certain end of the pitch the advantage with no opportunity for the other team to do the same in the second half (although the same situation could occur under the Golden goal rule). The rule was first applied in the Euro 2004 competition, but now it has been discontinued (along with golden goal) and all competitions have reverted to the traditional "

More About "Golden Goal" (no site is saying "why" it was discontinued) golden goal

The golden goal was a method used in football (soccer) to decide the result of games in elimination matches which end in a draw after the end of ordinary time (90 minutes). Its public origins can be traced to a letter published in the Times newspaper in London, UK, on April 16 1992. Two periods of fifteen-minute extra time are played. If any team scores a goal during extra-time, that team becomes the winner and the game ends at once. The winning goal is known as the "golden goal".

If there are no goals after both extra time periods, a penalty shoot-out decides the game.

Even though this kind of arrangement is known as "sudden death" in some other games, the term sudden death is only informally used when speaking about football; the only official term used is "golden goal". The term golden goal was introduced by FIFA along with the rule change because "sudden death" was perceived to have negative connotations. The Golden Goal was not compulsory, and individual competitions using extra time could choose whether or not to apply it during extra time.

The golden goal was first used in the Cromwell Cup final of 1868, when Sheffield Wednesday scored the winner against Garrick club.. It was first introduced in a major tournament during Euro 96. The final of that tournament (between Germany and the Czech Republic) was the first match to be decided by such a goal. The final of the inaugural FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship in 2002 was also decided on a golden goal, with the USA defeating the host Canadians.

The golden goal rule was introduced to stimulate offensive flair and to effectively reduce the number of penalty shoot-outs. However, it was widely thought that this ruling backfired as more teams decided to play defensive football to safeguard a loss - a notable exception being the match between England and Germany in Euro 96.

In the 2002 season UEFA introduced a new rule, the so-called silver goal, to decide a competitive match. In extra time a team leading after the first fifteen minute period would win, but the game would no longer stop the instant a team scored. Competitions that operated extra time would be able to decide whether to use the Golden Goal, the Silver Goal, or neither procedure during extra time.

In February 2004 it was decided by the IFAB that after Euro 2004 in Portugal, both the golden goal and the silver goal procedures would be removed from the Laws of the Game.

===========================

As for baseball ... I don't know anyone named baseball. =) In other words, my cardinals are seriously hurting. I have no idea how we're still in 1st place. The Detroit series (and the ChiSox series) was/were hard to watch. My dad, who lives cardinal baseball, has the suicide hotline on speed dial.

I heard some about Verlander the other day. At age 12, he was clocked at 80mph from major league distance mound. Wow.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Why the silly overtime rule in soccer? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found some more stuff at a message board (hopefully they aren't as fulla crap as we are)

"FIFA dropped the idea as they believed it was too cruel for the match to finish so suddenly and not give the opposition an opportunity to even things up"

This guy had an interesting idea: "Forget 90 minutes of boring 0-0 score lines and just have 60 minutes of penalty shootouts,at least you will get to see plenty of goals."

and this one: "I like using Eenie Meenie Minee Mo to decide the outcome of the match. It's cute, entertaining, and not terrible :)"

Cool idea: "about 20 years ago, the German FA run a trial in their regional Cup games where if there was a draw after full time, a "Golden Goal" rule would apply. The difference was that every 5 minutes after the start of Extra-time, each team had to take one field player off the pitch. So after 20 minutes of extra-time, there would be 7 vs. 7 on a full-size pitch, another 10 minutes later 5 vs.5, etc.

The trial was abandoned after just one season because they just couldn't agree on when to switch sides and therefore give equal advantage (or disadvantage) to each team. this is a shame, because in the late nineties, a "Golden Goal" rule WAS introduced, and that issue didn't seem to matter at that point at all..."

============================

I did read one message that described a scenario about a team being awarded a "Golden Goal" chance by their player "diving" inside the penalty box and being awarded a penatly shot to win the game (sudden death). It was their opinion that winning the game in such a way would be terrible to the other team. It sorta reminded me about the Vinny Testeverde play that caused the NFL to reinstate instant replay.

=======================
Quote Reply