Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike Etiquette
Quote | Reply
I've posted this question on other forums, but wanted to get more input on this.

I'm purchasing a new bike and was wondering about the proper etiquette of asking the shop if I could be present when the bike is being assembled. I understand that there are scheduling of resource issues, but I'm willing to let the shop pick the date and time. Is this inappropriate? When I purchased my last bike, I asked the same question, but was denied the opportunity. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kirby
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Etiquette [slowride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ask why? If you want to learn how/what is going on, then perhaps they could accomodate you (esp. if you promise to stay out of the way). Realistically though, it is not a quick process, esp. if they do it right, and you might be more of a distraction than anything else. Maybe if you buy the guy lunch and a 6 pack.

Of course, if it is b/c you want to be sure they do it right, then I'd suggest you go somewhere else. I bought my new bike from a place over 350 miles from my home b/c I simply don't trust the fit nor skill of my LBS. It will be built and ready for a fitting long before I arrive there to pick it up. I trust implicitly that it will be setup to perfection, or I wouldn't be spending my money there. Don't buy a bike anywhere you don't get that same vibe.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you ask a restaurant if you could go back and watch your food being prepared? Would you ask GM if you could go to the factory and watch your car being assembled? Would you ask Delta if you could go and watch how they unload your baggage?

Some bike shops may allow it, more likely if you befriend the assembler and promise to bring a 6-pack of ale with you. Most likely, it would not be allowed. There are insurance regs for not having customers in the shop. It may be a distraction for the mechanic, and why would you want to distract him when he is assembling your bike. There is very little to assembling a bike, unless it is being built from a kit. Most bikes are 80% assembled before they are boxed and shipped.

Finally, most people do not like having somebody watching them while they work. I have never minded friends hanging out while I built a bike, but would not allow most people to do so.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that you not make that request. Personally, my favorite assemblies are the ones I do here late at night, music up loud, lights in the showroom down low, a couple friends here working on bikes too and no time limit or pressure. I turn out some beautiful work under those conditions and it is personally rewarding and enjoyable. I also always feel vey good about the finished product, knowing it was built in a completely uncompromising, stress free environment. I can work against a deadline and under pressure- including scrutiny, and turn out excellent results, but it is more stressful and not as enjoyable. Do you you like your boss hanging over your back when you are trying to work? It's just not really necessary, may be detrimental for some people and maybe even a little rude. It may infer a lack of confidence. If you feel you have to watch their every move you might do well to shop for another store. Just my 2 cents as a guy who loves to build tri bikes and is an anal perfectionist.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what others have said about this; usually a no-no. Another problem is that it is rare during store hours that a mechanic is able to work on your bike alone, uninterrupted, for a lump of time. Usually it is a continuing start work, stop work process because of the need to change someone's flat, check this or that sound, pump up these tires, go over a bike before it goes out the door, etc...with you watching, the mech. will feeel pressure to work on your bike nonstop instead of attending to the needs of other customers and the shop in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When building a new high end bike, concentration is of the utmost importance. Casual conversation with the customer can be distracting. Unless you have a close relationship with the mechanic, I would not recommend the request.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Etiquette [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Personally, my favorite assemblies are the ones I do here late at night, music up loud, lights in the showroom down low, a couple friends here working on bikes too and no time limit or pressure.
Aahhh......I do remember when we had a great group of mechanics assembled at the old store I worked weekends at. It was not just the ability of these guys as mechanics, but the choice of music played. One guy in particular had the greatest collection of old funk, and a number of us could really appreciate it. For a while there was a spinning mirrored ball and spotlights hanging from the ceiling. Ah, life was grand. Old funk, old punk, R&B, old rock, new rock, skinny tie music, and on and on. One of the few places a Bad Religion cd could be follwed up by Prince and then by Ani DeFranco.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Etiquette [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would never race a bike that I did not put together my self. To me when you put together a bike you need to do EVERYTHING

Chase and face BB / Headset

Reseat crown race on fork (face the fork)

Check the frame with the FAG2

Check the dropouts for alignment and width

Grease (or LockTite) on every thread

Torque everything

I trust no one to do it right but me.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is one bike shop that has an open area where the mechanics work. They're on open display off the showroom. I would have thought it's fine to watch but not to ask questions when they're working, but it doesn't seem to bother these guys as they're constantly talking and joking with the customers. This type of public interaction is part of this shop's panache.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Etiquette [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...reasons.....

I had a 1997 Litespeed Ultimate that had a burr in the BB - it destroyed the Aluminum cup on a Record BB....can never be to careful.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Etiquette [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would never race a bike that I did not put together my self. To me when you put together a bike you need to do EVERYTHING

I trust no one to do it right but me.

but...a decent mechanic will do a better job than 97% of the riding(and racing) public.

if you're in that 3% be thankful.
Quote Reply