Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq.
Quote | Reply
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13630952/

We're so f'ed. Even an allegation like this makes the US appear, to borrow a term from my buddy ol' pal MattinSF, "morally bankrupt." And in a battle for hearts and minds, appearances are everything.

Not that we had popular support before, but I think this'll drive us to lows from which it'll be even closer to impossible to recover.

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
19° 38’ 11.08” N 155° 59’ 30.66” W
Last edited by: Doc H6llyw66d: Jun 30, 06 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note, you have to question the wisdom of leaking that to the press.

I agree this is horrible and it is not going to help us and our efforts in Iraq but I also think that anyone with a brain or not totally clouded by their hatred of America understands these acts are by a small minority of the thousands of troops their. I think it is also important to keep in context of war and that, as has been pointed out many times before, these things do inevitably happen in wars.

I am a big believer in perception is reality and this will be a huge challenge for our governement, military leaders and troops on the ground but we can get through it. People who commit these crimes should go to jail forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think that anyone with a brain or not totally clouded by their hatred of America understands these acts are by a small minority of the thousands of troops their. I think it is also important to keep in context of war and that, as has been pointed out many times before, these things do inevitably happen in wars.

The problem of course is that the people in Iraq will not see it this way.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, and another point to make is that these things happen all over the world every day. Just open up a paper and you'll be bombarded with horror stories of the things people do to each other. Maybe these soldiers, had they been in civilian life, would have done something similar back home.

But, this is a situation in which the US effort is under a very large magnifying glass, with a significant number of people (both in the US and abroad) looking for ways to undermine support. Incidents like this just can't happen if the US is ever to prevail.

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incidents like this just can't happen if the US is ever to prevail.

Indeed.

In today's media saturated environment, every single mistake/crime the US commits in the war on terror has strategic consequences.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I know. I just hope that in the end, when people in Iraq look back on this that despite their thoughts of the war in general that they will remember those who served as really trying to help and not as rapist, torturers and murders.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and think that any act of this nature needs to be dealt with swiftly and harshly in the military. There needs to be zero tolerance and huge punishments. Every soldier serving (anywhere) should know if you are found guilty of these types of acts you will be spending your life in jail. Unlike the average civilian who commits a violent act these guys are wearing a flag on their shoulder which represents every one of us. They have to be held to a higher standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike the average civilian who commits a violent act these guys are wearing a flag on their shoulder which represents every one of us. They have to be held to a higher standard.

Very well put.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one of those guys, I completely agree.

Spot

Quote | Reply
As formerly one of those guys; I agree as well. But I would also wish that many of the people on this board and in this country felt as strongly about holding our elected representatives to a higher standard as well, not just the young men and women in our nations military.

Now this is something my mate Mattin can really sink his teeth into.

Hey Mattin ... calling Mattin !!,,, come and get it! ...hurry Dude you're missing out on some prime Uncle Sam butt kicking opportunities right here.
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [Bruce Wayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I would also wish that many of the people on this board and in this country felt as strongly about holding our elected representatives to a higher standard as well, not just the young men and women in our nations military.

A very good point. Seems we almost expect our politicians to be "dirty". Sad.

To take the point further, I wish everyone held THEMSELVES to same high standard they hold everyone else to.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Jesus F'ing Christ... Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [Bruce Wayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concur.

Spot

Quote | Reply
This is what seperates us from the terrorists.

Shock and awe.

Shock and awe.
Quote Reply
Re: Can it get any worse? Soldiers accused of (one apparently confesses to) rape and murder in Iraq. [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could get worse. This kind of thing could lead to even more pressure to pull out of Iraq on a set timetable, or before the country is secure, as many on this board advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To bastardize Winston Churchill:

Never in the field of human conflict was so much lost by so many to so few.

These few, who have abused, raped, murdered have betrayed their country just as bad as Walker, et al.

Of course, we wouldn't have been put in this position in the first place if we just focused on finishing up the task in Afghanistan.
Quote Reply