Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: World's Most Dangerous Occupation? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not really, it is a statistical fact. Saddams lawyers are lawyers, a category way down the list of most dangerous occupations.4 out of 42 Presidents have been assassinated in office and I'll wait for you to find another occupation higher than a 9.5% death rate."

Well Case this is just a la-di-da past the time kind of conversation that really has no bearing on anything important.

But for the useless sake of just shooting the breeze consider this - 4 out of 42 presidents over what period of time? And 3 lawyers out of how many on Saddam's defense team over a few months?

Do the Math.
Quote Reply
Re: World's Most Dangerous Occupation? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good one!
Quote Reply
Re: World's Most Dangerous Occupation? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armstrong wins battle against the Sunday Times

Lance Armstrong has settled his libel case with the The Sunday Times libel case, reports the Associated Press. On Friday, London's High Court ruled that an article published in the newspaper in June 2004 "meant accusation of guilt and not simply reasonable grounds to suspect." The judge said that the article strongly implied that Armstrong had taken performance enhancing drugs, and that the Sunday Times would have had to defend that position if the case went to trial. Both parties agreed to settle the matter out of court, with the Sunday Times issuing a statement apologising to Armstrong.

At least in the USA .... I hope the Times had to pay a big one, big enough to burn a hole in their pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: World's Most Dangerous Occupation? [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assassinated US Presidents

John Wilkes Booth - assassin of the American President Abraham Lincoln

Aaron Burr - won the duel leading to the death of Alexander Hamilton (can you really call this an assassination?)

Leon Czolgosz - assassin of the American President William McKinley

Charles J. Guiteau - assassin of the American President James Garfield

Lee Harvey Oswald - found by the Warren Commission to be the assassin of US President John F. Kennedy

Attempted Assassinations on US Presidents

Vladimir Arutinian - attempted assassin of US President George W. Bush and President of Georgia Mikhail Saakashvili (May 10, 2005)

Samuel Byck - would-be assassin of American President Richard Nixon

John Hinckley, Jr. - would-be assassin of Ronald Reagan

Richard Lawrence - attempted assassin of Andrew Jackson

Sara Jane Moore - would-be assassin of Gerald Ford

Richard Paul Pavlick - would-be assassin of John F. Kennedy

Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme - would-be assassin of Gerald Ford

Ramzi Yousef considered assassinating United States President Bill Clinton, but decided against it

Giuseppe Zangara - assassin of Anton Cermak, mayor of Chicago, Illinois and would-be assassin of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

==============================

Seems to be a pretty dangerous job ... all those people protecting you and folks still try to do the job.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Seems to be a pretty dangerous job ... "

Undoubtedly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't consider the Burr/Hamilton duel and assassination. Although dueling to the death may have been illegal at the time. I'm not sure. An interesting bit of trivia: All of the Presidents who have been assassinated were elected in years that ended in a 0 (1860, 1880, 1900, 1920, etc.). FDR who was elected in 1940 was not assassinated but died while in office. This was something called Tecumseh's Curse that placed on this country by the Indian Chief. Reagan broke the curse when he survived the assassination attempt on him. We'll see if President George W. Bush can hold on for anouther 2 years.

Re: World's Most Dangerous Occupation? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I read that cave divers have a pretty high rate of dying. Also, non-nepalese who attempt to summit Everest die at a pretty good clip, don't they?

I guess maybe those aren't occupations as much as hobbies.

I just wanted to make my first post in this stupid room.
Quote Reply

Prev Next