Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning
Quote | Reply
The latest issue that the GOP is focusing on is an anti flag burning amendment, which is surely a pressing issue, given the vast numbers of flags I see getting burned all around me every day.

Last week it was an anti-gay marriage amendment. And, before that, an attempt to send all of the Mexicans back home.

In this year of trying to distract people from real issues, like the stumbling war in Iraq, I wonder what demagogic amendment proposition we can come up with next. Any takers?
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, that's a tough call.

If I was gambling real money, I would go with some kind of anti-sedition amendment. What do you think??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what type of demagogic amendment the Democrats could bring up that would be just as emotional and stupid.

There's gotta be some way to galvanize the voters.

Quote | Reply
It is simply a tactic to get Democratic rivals in close elections to put a vote on record that can be used in the upcoming election, a game both parties play with reckless abandon.

A plague on both their houses. It sickens me that our great experiment in representative government has devolved to nothing more than a tool to allow self-serving politicians and their cronies to continue to grow fat on the public teat.

Reverisco!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Republicans are so use to wrapping themselves in the flag that they're scared of getting burned.

Playing by the rules is only one aspect of sportsmanship. The rules do not always encompass all the values by which we want to conduct ourselves. There is no explicit rule about winning and losing with grace. There are no rules about having integrity. There are no rules about treating each other with respect. Yet all of these things are paramount to winning itself and all of them can actually enable a person to gain from sport all it has to offer.
--Pete Vordenberg--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why local municipalities can't just arrest the flag burners for endangering public safety by starting an unauthorized fire in a public place. Avoid the whole constitutional issue.

My question is, if it is passed and ratified, what constitutes flag burning? Can you burn a t-shirt with a flag printed on it? How about if you defile it in other ways but not with fire? If not, can you defile a photograph of the flag?

It's a stupid issue, but leave it to the politicians to take up these self-serving causes come election time.

And aren't you supposed to dispose of retired flags by burning them?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone call me??

http://i5.tinypic.com/1671q53.jpg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as it makes me ill when I see a flag burnt, banning it would be one of the first steps towards getting rid of our freedom to criticise the government.

Now, if I see someone try and burn my country's flag, I may have to call 1-800-bchslap or open a can of Whoopass!, but I want the satisfaction of stopping the flag-burning.
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [Demagogue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is Jesus burning the flag?
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [CHCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sickens me that our great experiment in representative government has devolved to nothing more than a tool to allow self-serving politicians and their cronies to continue to grow fat on the public teat.

That may be an exact statement from Jon Stewart's book "America". I just read it on vacation ... and loved it. Unfortunately, there's too much truth in the book. [BTW, my favorite line is "1492: America discovers white people". That line had me laughing for a few minutes.]

=============================

DualFual,

I don't understand why local municipalities can't just arrest the flag burners for endangering public safety by starting an unauthorized fire in a public place. Avoid the whole constitutional issue.

In my town, you can only burn leaves/trash on specified days [I found out the hard way ... and my buddies won't let the joke die]. Perhaps people could be arrested for "illegal burning" ... surely everyone knows the Constitution says you can only burn leaves, garbage, and/or the flag on Tues, Thurs, and Sat.

You do make a point though. What if someone just started burning a white bed sheet (absent the klansman, har har) in public ... that would likely draw some enforcement attention.

==========================

bunnyman,

As much as it makes me ill when I see a flag burnt, banning it would be one of the first steps towards getting rid of our freedom to criticise the government.

I believe, from what I have heard and seen, that most soldiers would agree with that.

but I want the satisfaction of stopping the flag-burning.

Rick Monday is STILL respected.

April 25th was the 30th anniversary of LA Dodger, Rick Monday, stopping a protester from burning the Flag in the outfield during a baseball game.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jun 29, 06 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this little bit of animation (it's a slightly-animated version of the earlier "priceless" post :-)

http://www.blackfive.net/...orized/flag_burn.gif

T.
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 29, 06 22:52
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [DualFuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

And aren't you supposed to dispose of retired flags by burning them?

Reverisco!
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [Fatmouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 'legalize marijuana' movement where a few poor suffers of glaucoma and cancer are overwhelmed by a throng of potheads. That's one of those relatively small issues Dems(or Liberals at least) fall unnecessarily on the sword for.
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last time I checked, however, you haven't seen Dems pushing for amending our constitution in order to legalize pot.
Quote Reply
Re: Demagoguery du Jour: Flag Burning [Demagogue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a ripper!

Hope that shithead got burned and scarred up real good..... sport the Ameican flag on his face for the rest of his life! A little sweet justice endowed upon him for being a fanatical bumhead and a result of him being a stupid one. You'd think his mate holding the flag has got to be equally as stupid to keep holding it over his head as he for standing under it. And look at the rest of his Muslim brothers in the background happy as pigs in shit in the first pic then cowering away in the second when he gets lit up, and in the third notice that dimwit on the far right with his arms raised,"Allah Akhbar!" But not a single one seen to be helping. Frikkin ace mate.

Thanks for those pics ,,, made my day.
Quote Reply