Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is no way to live
Quote | Reply
Bicycling Magazine had a blurb on this guy. What's wrong with him?

http://www.midas.com/alc/overview.aspx

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We commend his perseverance and commitment to his job and to his family.

wouldn't his family be better off he didn't spend 7 hours a day in a car?

have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live,” he said in explaining why he makes the commute. “So this is the only solution.”

Really? The only solution for an electrical engineer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"For a free brochure containing fuel-saving tips..."

I can think of one thing that should be contained in that brochure about saving fuel...

Quote | Reply
That is freakin' insane. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work and I resent that much time spent in the car. I would love to be able to bike to the office.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Let's assume that his car averages 25 miles to the gallon. At 375 miles a day that is 15 gallons of gas a day. At $3 a gallon he's spending $45 a day on gas. Assuming 50 weeks of work a year you're looking at 250 days. That's over $11,000 a year on gas alone. Every two weeks he should be about due for an oil change so that's 25 times approx $30 per change. That puts him at $12,000 a year for just expenses on his car.

I'm thinking he could get a different job closer to home that pays substantially less and STILL come out with more available money per year for the family. What an idiot!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That guy is a douche bag. "My family loves our ranch." Well, yeah, but I bet his kids would have rather hung out with their dad a few extra hours every week than the sheep. "Hey, sheep...will you come shoot some hoops?" "Baaaaaaaaa." "Hey sheep, I'm stuck on this trig problem. Can you explain cosine and sine to me?" "Baaaaaaaaa" "hey sheep, can you take me to baseball practice?"

See what this man has subjected his kids to? Looking to an ungulate for guidance. Pish.

(And c'mon? An electrical engineer? You can't tell me there aren't other EE jobs elsewhere. Somewhere the cost of living is lower and the commute is shorter. MOve out of CA, and I bet you can get a whole passel o' land somewhere--and not be spending 7 hours in a car every day.)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of these guys live around me. They drive 90 minutes each way to Dallas to go to work so they raise their kids in a small town. Forget the huge drug problem and shitty schools. Oh the myth of the small town.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that blub.

Really pathetic.

I can't believe Midas rewarded these idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"MOve out of CA"

At 186 miles from San Jose....isn't he already almost out of California?

This is either a joke or the guy's an idiot. 7 & 1/2hrs a day driving plus 8-9 hrs a day working equals 15.5 to 16.5 hrs a day. Sooo he drives home to go to sleep? Why not just rent a little hole in San Jose and stay there and drive home on weekends.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just rent a little hole in San Jose and stay there and drive home on weekends.

Because he's so devoted to his family.

:)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to work with a guy who had the same kind of commute, ~180 miles each way (Higgens Lake, MI to Detroit). He left home at 3:00am, got to work at 6:00am, worked until 3:00pm, drove home, arriving around 7:00pm.

In his spare time he was remodeling his house!

He also worked half days on a couple of occasions--that means he drove 6+ hours to work for 4! On one of those half days, he drove back home, picked up his wife, brought her back to Detroit for a concert, then drove back home afterwards!

One weekend, he drove home Friday afternoon, loaded the wife and kids in the car, drove to Florida, dropped them off at grandma's house, then drove back to Higgens Lake. He must have spent the whole weekend in the car! He was at work at 6:00am Monday like any other day.
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [dbh1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever suggest he get a job as a truck driver?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: This is no way to live [Jon Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I wouldn't wish such things on anyone, but I'd love for this "super commuter" to learn the hard way that teen pregnancy and drug use are just as bad in his idyllic, pristine small town as in the nasty, depraved city.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On this guy's death bed,, rather than wishing he spent more time with his family or that he expressed his love to his wife more often, he's gonna say, "I wish I had a longer commute".

The longest commute? Shouldn't this be a shameful award to win?

I also suspect that in 20 years that his kids won't look back on their childhood and say "Boy, I wish we had a little nicer ranch".

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Post deleted by astrotri [ In reply to ]