Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Negatives on perfection.
Quote | Reply
The following is not a troll. I am going to list some products that always get the rave reviews. So I need to here some down sides. Be nice and keep professional. Again I want all this stuff so I ain't flaming.

Cervelo bicycles (Gerard I am not putting you down. The P2K and Prodigy are super sexy and I will kill for one.)

SRM power meters

Titan Flex

Softride

Computrainer

Syntance

Zipp

I just hear the greatness of these great products and figure there has to be a downside.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Negatives on perfection. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add to that list:

PowerCranks

HED
Last edited by: freestyle: Mar 17, 04 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Negatives on perfection. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
downside on the softride lots of wrenching. I've had two. Each required more wrenching than any two other bikes I've owned.
zipp wheels - paying much more for a wheelset that will work only as well as one costing a hundreds less.
Computrainers - can you say computer crash?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost! Everything on that list is not cheap (maybe relatively inexpensive like Cervelos but not cheap)

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you say anything bad about HED? I say give me HED or give me nothing at all ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the CH Aero disc covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some down sides...

Cervelo bicycles - everyone has one.

SRM power meters - If you have one and are not a pro, people will/should make fun of you.

Titan Flex - Softride knockoff

Softride - Titan Flex knockoff

Computrainer - You want me to spend how much for a trainer?

Syntace - Great - if you have a really short head tube.

Zipp - If you ride these and are not consistently in the top 10 of your AG, people should/will make fun of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a former Softride Owner who got fed up with mechanical issues you will not get a rave review from me.

Cervelo's are great bikes but they struggle with delivery/availability issues every year. And you thought Shimano was bad at forecasting demand...

SRM's, Zipps, and Computrainers rock, but they are way too expensive for most people. I'd love to see these guys try to put out some lower end products rather than psuhing the high end every year.

Armrest height issues aside, Syntace stuff is almost perfect. Affordable, comfortable, and durable. What more could you ask?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on the other products, but I love my Computrainer. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact that I won it in a drawing at IM WI and didn't have to fork over $1200 for it, although with a little computer work, I'm pretty sure you could pick one up for much less. If you have to do alot of trainer riding in the fall/winter, it sure does make the time go more quickly - and I like having all the data. I'm sure it's a 'personality thing' - some people couldn't care less for the data and don't want to fool around with the set-up and computer side of it. The only negative I can think of at the moment is that it's a bit of a pain to take the bike down (when the weather permits) and get it all set up again. It's only about a 10-15 minute process, but when time is tight, that can be a significant barrier.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Negatives on perfection. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't forget the CH Aero disc covers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Negatives on perfection. [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Just wanted to comment on the Syntace..good choice. Buying the set up with shift levers on the aero bars this year. Bought a Computrainer and really glad I did. Haven't had any PC crashes. but when I use it I shut down internet access via my DSL and then shut off firewalls, and pop up stoppers etc before running. Haven't had any problems. the data is great and the spin scan has help me immensely. I didn't know my right leg was so wimpy compared to my left at all. Has helped balance out the legs and form too.

thats my two cents.

thanks

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo...can't really comment since I don't ride one, but everyone else does.

SRM...cost

Titan Flex...can't really comment other than I don't like beam bikes

Softride...some durability issues, see beam bike comment

Computrainer...aside from cost and the fact that it's still an indoor trainer, few drawbacks

Syntace...not adjustable

Zipp...previous hubs had durability issues, cost.

PowerCranks...difficulty, seemingly outlandish claims, but I think they work, cost

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take:

Cervelo-everyone has one (especially the people passing me), limited colors

SRM- weight, have to cover your fancy TT bike with blue tape to keep the wires in place (a la Gordo)

Titan Flex- I'm sorry, call me old-fashioned, it just doesn't look like bicycle

Softride- weight, difficult to set up your position because of the beam flex.

Computrainer- never used one, can't justify the cost. besides, I can ride outside all winter in NorCal

Syntace- Armrests are too high

Zipp- cost, braking on carbon rims sucks, titanium spokes kept breaking (I had it respoked with Stainless steel).

PowerCranks- unsafe in traffic (can't commute on them), unsafe on technical descents and bumpy roads (you can't balance on them). And if you start pedaling by backpedaling the right crank arm to get it to the 2 O'clock position you can actually unscrew the pedal partway over time so when you stand up to climb you rip the pedal out of the remaining threads and violently fall on the top tube, doing untold damage to the family jewels in the process (personal experience). And let's not forget the Dork factor.

Hed- wheel was off balance, front wheel (3-spoke) is deadly in a cross wind for lighter riders.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Computrainer's just too damned expensive. I bought one because I live in a part of the country where you can't comfortably ride outside for about six months of the year, and I wanted something that would allow me to do really long rides. The CT is a great tool, and can probably help every rider improve, if for no other reason than it tells you a lot about your riding mechanics that you can't tell from just riding. It's also nice being able to load a 5, 20, 50, or even 200 mile course onto your computer and go for a ride that is very similar to riding outside, sans weather and kamikaze drivers.

That said, I think that the asking price is way too high. The platform is probably unchanged in the past several years, and the software seems archaic compared to the average Game Boy cartridge. Given other, similar trainers coming on the market, I would hope that RacerMate will either write a new version of their software, or lower the price of the system, which will make it affordable for a lot more people, thus boosting their sales.

That said, I still think it's an excellent product, and I'm glad I bought it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply