Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Commuting on an Italian Classic
Quote | Reply
Commuting on an Italian Classic. This bike provides a very quite ride. The winter project to build this Italian Classic (1997 Bianchi TSX available as frame set only, built with campagnolo chorus/record mix) was tough, grueling, took lots of endurance, and strength too. But it was worth it :-) ....

Question?? Are steel bikes a relic of the past at this point?? Seems like the mid-90's was the pinnacle of steel fabrication.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Commuting on an Italian Classic [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are steel bikes a relic of the past at this point??"

Yes and no. It is difficult to impossible for steel to match carbon fiber and aluminum for light weight and stiffness. Aluminum and steel tubesets cost about the same, but aluminum tubesets are much easier and faster to cut and miter. However, aluminum tubesets do require a post weld heat treatement process which reduces their ease of production somewhat. If you're a big company, you do your heat treatment in-house so it's not such a big deal (esp. with 7000 series tubing). If you're a small company you've got to send the frame somewhere else and pay for it. Fortunately, some paint companies are getting into the heat treatment biz so it's getting a little easier for the small builders.

Personally, I think steel has a lot of good qualities and it will remain the material of choice for most small framebuilders while aluminum will continue to reign supreme with the bigger (Giant, Specialized, Cannondale) and medium sized (Guru, Felt, Cervelo) companies.

Framebuilding isn't rocket science, but there are some complex issues involved in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This ain't no classic! Where are the down tube shifters? What's with the modern seat post?

Kidding, of course. Actually, I'm jealous. That's a great commuter. My next bike (after a cyclocross bike) will be a classic celeste Bianchi with some old Record components, downtube shifters, the whole 9. It will be the bike I wish I had in high school, so no parts newer than 1987 (when I got a car, discovered girls and stopped riding).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in the process of restoring my old Miele. Upgrading the frame with modern 9 sp 105/Ultegra STI components and adding carbon aero fork, carbon drop bars, titanium seat post and stem. It was already a nicer ride than my two aluminium bikes, so upgrading it was very worthwhile.
Quote Reply