Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bigger gears into headwinds?
Quote | Reply
I've heard someone mentioned he uses a bigger chainrings on courses that see a lot of headwind. I would think the opposite. Did he just get confused and wrong headwind instead of tailwind, or is there something I don't know? I would think headwinds are like hills, so if they are that severe I'd small ring em.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger gears into headwinds? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If i had to guess, a big headwind going out means a big tailwind coming in. Iguess you can make do in the little chain ring into th ewind, and then bust out the big chainring with the tailwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, well In Taupo I used a 53/11 on 700c wheels in windy conditions knowing I would have a strong tailwind going out but a nasty headwind coming back. I used a big gear and a quiet, conservative cadence on the way out and a much easier (53/16 or easier) gear at a little higher cadence on the return trip into the wind. It was easy to go over 28 mph on the way out, but tough to manage even 19 mph on the way back.

On that windy course, I was glad I had some big gears. If I had a 650c bike in those conditions I would have used a 54 or 55/11 for a top gear and a 42/23 as my easy gear.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it all boils down to personal preference. There are real mashers (Bjorn Andersson) and there are real spinners (Heather Gollnick). Experiment to find whichever works best for you and choose your gearing appropriately.

Personally, I'm more of a spinner. Generally speaking, big gears tax your leg muscles and small gears tax your aerobic system. I find my aerobic system can bounce back for the run in an ironman much better than my legs can.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger gears into headwinds? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to see the write-up on Jurgen's Softride in the latest Triathlete? He rides a 56/44 front with an 11-21 rear...in KONA of all places. Holy crap, that guy's a BEAST.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger gears into headwinds? [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Bjorn use a 58 up front? Maybe he'll whip out his 'special ocassion' 61 ring. I wanna see some records fall bjorn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's definitely a biking badass. However, most of us triathletes are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep in mind that jurgen rides with 650 wheels despite not being short (I think he is about 5'10'' or so)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even you can turn ANY thread into a Bjorn thread ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger gears into headwinds? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a talent.
Quote Reply