Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Disk Wheel Integrity
Quote | Reply
There is an auction on eBay for a disk wheel, not sure if it is a HED or a Zipp, but it is 650c. It is an older disk with a 7 speed freewheel. The following is a quote from the seller.

" There are two small holes that got poked thru the wheel by another wheel's axle by accident, but those are covered now by a bit of tape. Those holes are small enough that they don't compromise the strength of the wheel one bit."

Is the wheel's strength and integrity compromised??

Quote | Reply
It is probably a HED as the carbon is soft get holes fairly easily. Mine had a couple of small holes and they didnt affect it in any way that I could tell, I just covered them with black tape.

KR
Last edited by: flying wombat: Jun 22, 06 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What material provides the support on a disk wheel?? The carbon skin or a honeycomb core?

So, a couple of holes isn't that big of a deal?

Quote | Reply
Hard to say. Depends what the rest of the disc is like. A couple of pinholes shouldn't make a huge difference but older carbon discs sometimes go "soft" in the same area as where holes develop.

Also consider that for $65 you can get a custom cut disc cover from wheelbuilder.com as an equally cheap alternative to an old disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but will it make that cool rumbling sound ??:) JK !!!

Seriously though, there is a buy it now price for $110.00 and it is tubular, which I plan to race on. Plus I want to use "old" parts, it'll be more clear when I post pics of the bike. Right now I do not have any tubular wheels to use for a cover.

Also, I don't think that these are "pinholes", he said a puncture was made by another bike's axle.

Quote | Reply
I wouldnt worry about a hole made by an axle. My HED was used for $180 and already had some dents and a crop circle, but scored a hole when I was warming up prior to a TT on a windy day and the wind blew it over onto a trainer and punctured it. I also put another hole in when trying to force on an extra tight tubular with a screwdriver (stupid I know). I rode it for two years with no more than some tape over the holes.

I just recently sealed it with some lightweight filler and it is off to get a custom paint scheme and should look like new.

KR
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [Kenright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hed's have no core, they are hollow and extremely easy to dent. You can dent a hed by thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is a HED with spokes in it, no problem. If it is a Zipp with just a carbon skin, it could mean that the wheel could fail. I am not a carbon expert, but HED wheels have spokes in them and I believe that the carbon is superfluous.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [pm124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pm124 wrote:
If it is a HED with spokes in it, no problem. If it is a Zipp with just a carbon skin, it could mean that the wheel could fail. I am not a carbon expert, but HED wheels have spokes in them and I believe that the carbon is superfluous.

Earlier HED discs were structural carbon (no spokes, no nomex core). The ones today are spoked wheels with a non structural carbon fairing.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [pm124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just responded to a thread that is more than 13 years old.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Aug 29, 19 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Disk Wheel Integrity [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if that is inappropriate here. Some people get upset when a new thread is started on an old topic. Others get upset when an old thread is revived.
Quote Reply