Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin
Quote | Reply
Is it just my aging, delicate (wussy) skin or does anyone else suffer with the inevitable rings around the eyes left by swim goggles? Even the barracuda ultimates, which are excellent in all other respects, left me with rings for a couple of hours after last nights swim. Don't they claim Michellie Jones' only rings are her Olympic ones after wearing them?
Am I destined to always be told "You look tired today" or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosen up. the non foam goggles don't have to be as tight.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Swedish! Goggles that is! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you- after seeing the ad, I ordered the exact pair. I get horrible rings around my eyes-I mean, so bad that I literally cannot go anywhere after swimming without sunglasses. I have tried every pair of goggles available to man. I find the Barracudas are "better" but I still get the rings. Maybe Michellie only swims for 5 minutes at a time and then takes them off... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [Becca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried the swedish when I spent 8 years in Cyprus in the military... thoroughly recommend them........Oh the goggles, couldn't get them to stay in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swedes are the best hands down. once you get used to them you will never go back. be fair and give them a week, you may not like them the first swim.

swedes rock

bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so what's the deal with the Swedish? I saw some advertised on Kiefer's website, is that what you're talking about? I used TYR last year, right now I'm trying Kaiman. Nothing seems to fit just right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a cult. Come drink the purple Kool Aid, and try a pair of swedes out. There are many reasons why they're so popular with the hard core fish.

They're cheap- $3-$4 a pair unless you want the fancy mirrored ones, are infinitely adjustable (cut off and use a piece of the head strap instead of the enclosed macaroni and string deal for the nose piece to get the fit absolutely perfect), the double head strap helps them stay on your head better than single strap goggles, and for whatever reason, when they fit right, they sit around your eye sockets in just the right way that you don't really get the lines you do with other brands. I'm also very happy with my peripheral vision with them on. I've got 3 pairs in my swim bag right now that get heavy use.

Having said that, you do have to give them 5-6 practices to decide if you like them or not. They can be a bit uncomfortable at first, but for most people, it's just a matter of toughening up the skin a little bit where they sit on your face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swedish all the way.. after trying numerous different goggles.. (i work at a pool.. people forget them.. i try them out).. i could never get anything that i really liked/didn't hurt after a 2 hour practice...
this year, i forgot mine, and someone on the swim team loaned me an extra pair.. i tried them out that practice, went home and ordered 3 pairs. I find them simply amazing, don't hurt at all, and so adjustable.. but for some people they won't work, but i say try a pair out for a week and then decide. They are probably the most popular goggle on my swim team too.
David
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the need? Do you really need to get a closer look at either the black line on the pool bottom, the big cross telling you that an immovable object is getting close, or the person providing taxi service in front of you? Does anyone know when goggles for competitive swimming were invented? Buster Crabbe is rolling in his grave...
Last edited by: hominid: Mar 16, 04 19:12
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [hominid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the need for goggles?
have you ever tried swimming in a heavily clorinated (read university pool that regularly hosts local elementry schools) for 2 hours??
if i swim 25 m with my eyes open, my eyes burn..
do you have any idea what chlorine can do to you? it destroys tissue, thats why its used in pools.. to destroy bacteria, fungus, and anything else that might contaminate the water..

salt water pools i find are alot better.. but i can't find any of those around here..
I think goggles were invented around the 1950's?? but then what kind of health regulations were in place in pools too?
Quote Reply
Re: Barracuda Ultimates and the 'no rings' spin [hominid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Someone who hates gadgetry more than me- woo hoo!

Not sure the exact time goggle use became common, but I have read that it coincided with a dramatic decline in elite swim times- theory being, I guess, that it became possible to spend a LOT more time in the pool once the eyes got some protection from the irritant that is pool water.

I wouldn't wan't to give mine up.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply