Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tonight's PC CT workout numbers and huge improvement.
Quote | Reply
OK, first off, I know this is not base training. I know this may not be technically correct "periodization", blah, whatever- but I'm just having fun with my PC's:

Tonight's Computrainer Powercranks workout. Calvin and I rode the 20 mile beginner course. Average speed 24.3 m.p.h. at average 241 watts for a time of 49:23. This blows away anything I did before Powercranks. No sh&#! Frank Day says an average increase of 2-4 m.p.h. or something. The man might have something. I'm a believer. Yes I do sell them. Yes, I do think they do something. Awesome. Thanks Frank!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tonight's PC CT workout numbers and huge improvement. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom

Similar improvements here. I haven't had them long and have done maybe 14 rides or so on them but have already seen a 1 mph improvement over last year. That is over a 50 mile distance. Over a 20 mile course I rode 1.5 mph faster than I have ever ridden that course. It is the same course I rode countless times last season. An additional benefit I am seeing is a run improvement. Due to some ankle soreness I am running only twice per week. I do a 7-9 miler mid week and a 10 miler on saturday or sunday. I am surprised that my run is consistently improving. Not sure if it is the powercranks but something isgoing on. My run for these distances is faster than last year with less training. If this continues I might try 4 bikes and 2 runs per week for the upcoming season and see what happens. I feel like the PCs are giving me the equivalent of an extra couple of runs per week with none of the pounding. Iexpect to see some real improvement in march when I can start spending some quality time on the bike. Should be a good year.

Having said all of that...if you are a male...age 35-39...especially if you will be doing some races in Florida....STAY AWAY FROM POWERCRANKS ;)

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Tonight's PC CT workout numbers and huge improvement. [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, that does it...I'm getting up at 4:20 in the morning and riding mine! Thanks for the inspiration!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Tonight's PC CT workout numbers and huge improvement. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, I say 2-3 mph in 6-9 months. Don't want to be accused of overstating things, although no one here would accuse me of that. :-) but, I am now adding another 2.3 mph the second year. Sounds like you might reach that the second month :-)

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
I dont have a powertap, CT or access to [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any other power measuring device so any suggestions on how I might be able to quantify any improvements I make this year as a result of the PC's?

I cant compare Oly results as I have moved from the Mid-west to the Rockies so I'm not racing the same races.

I am toying with the idea of doing a hill climb once a month but any other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: I dont have a powertap, CT or access to [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
time trial speed on a flat windless course (or out and back). Power varies with the cube of the speed (if your aerodynamics are the same - it will be higher if you are doing the PC situp)

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I dont have a powertap, CT or access to [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you checked your e-mail from the PC site?

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Tonight's PC CT workout numbers and huge improvement. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On thing I should point out: I have used PC's before, but not strictly in compliance with Frank's recommendations. I was more of a "dabbler". Now I'm hooked and the results are coming fast.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom.

That sounds intriguing. I actually went out to the PC site and checked prices after that testimonial. I have a couple of questions for you. . .

What was your average heart rate during that ride and how did your heartrate compare to other rides when you averaged the same number of watts?

Do you have any pre and post powercrank ramp tests that you can compare?

What about your spinscan scores? Have they improved and if so by how much?

-MK
Quote Reply
Re: I dont have a powertap, CT or access to [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, saw it. thanks
[reply]have you checked your e-mail from the PC site?

Andrew[/reply]

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]On thing I should point out: I have used PC's before, but not strictly in compliance with Frank's recommendations. I was more of a "dabbler". Now I'm hooked and the results are coming fast.[/reply]

You can now truly understand the difference between the two PC "training methods" (exclusive vs intermittant) and why the one is much more powerful. You thought they were good before (didn't you write an article for Xtri?) but didn't realize the full potential. You are not alone in this except others of the intermittant use advocates haven't had your insight because they haven't tried the other approach to compare.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply