Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim & Bike in Oahu: Where?
Quote | Reply
I am going to be in Oahu next week with son & my husband there on a business trip. Will be staying Waikiki area at Hawaii Hilton. I'll be looking to rent a bike to use for the 5 day there and some place to swim. It seems that riding along the main road counter clockwise from Waikiki to some point and turning around it the best option. Is swimming in the lagoon by the Hilton an option or does anyone know of any pools in the area. I don't know what to expect for water or air temperature. Wondering how to dress for biking. It is rainy? Coming from the NW I usually prepare for rain and cold. Thanks, Barb L
Quote Reply
Re: Swim & Bike in Oahu: Where? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barb, You'll love it here on Oahu. After a year in Vietnam I was blessed with an assignment here in Hawaii and it's so cool. We're out on the west end of Oahu's leeward coast at Barber's Point but there is great cycling and swimming on the end of Oahu where you'll be staying. Great morning swims in Ala Moana Park barely a mile west of Hilton Hawaiian Village. Several great bike stores nearby that can rent bikes and recommend rides (a great ride from where you're at is out towards Hanauma Bay--which by the way is also super snorkeling too). Look for shops websites--they are: Bikefactory; Island Triathlon and Bike; and, Boca Hawaii. enjoy

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with the exception of yesterdays ride it's usually pretty nice and dry here:) Your best ride bet would be just as you suggested, head through waikiki to diamond head, around diamond head on the ocean side, follow the rode another 2 miles until you hit Keauolu st. on your left (1st intersection with a 3-way stop after waikiki), turn up that and then make a right a mile up onto the highway. Continue on for as long as you'd like... Might be a bit windy but other than that the weather shold be fine. You can rent a bike from BOCA Hawaii www.bocahawaii.com 808 591 9839 or Island Triathlon and Bike 808 732 7227. Don't think you can swim in the lagoon but check out Ala Moana beach about a 5 minute walk from the lagoon, 2000m down and back of protected swimming. The university of Hawaii www.uhm.hawaii.edu has masters swims at 5:15am, 6pm, 7:30pm m-f as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much to add except to say that if you want a little rougher swim go the the Diamond Head side of the pier at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You are then on Fort Derussy (military) beach. You can swim parallel to the beach for about 1000 meters. I swim at Ala Moana park three times a weeks myself, great, easy, protected swim.

On the bike route mentioned is a good climb up to Hanauma Bay. Have fun.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for the helpful info. Sounds like I'm going to be ok and have fun.

Barb
Quote Reply