Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment.
Quote | Reply
Well, after looking at photos of his sensational position all week we finally did it.

My P3 is in the shop and we are tearing the front end off of it. We are installing Hed aerobars, straight aero extensions (like Jan style)and a flat Ritchey WCS stem (instead of the dropped, adjustable one Bjorn used). The front end is going to be bottomed out- super low, compared to the saddle.

This is a rough parallel of Bjorn's set-up, albeit with different equipment.

We'll give it a shot and report back. My primary question is "How long will it take to get used to the position?"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how are you putting "jan" extensions on the heds? this would make for a cool write up.
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cutting mountain bike bars?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We took stright carbon fiber bars and cut them to length. We haven;t gotten to installing the shifters yet, so I don;t know if the inside diameter of these is going to work with DA 10 speed bar-end shifters. If not, we're loking at cutting the Hed aero extensions all the way down to the nearly straight section. They are still long enough I think.

Any 26.0 outside diameter bar clamps into the Hed aerobar, that is one of the (many) nice things about these.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom- if I remember correctly in one of Dan's early reports on the Hed bars he mentioned that the aero bars had an aluminum bit at the end where the shifters clamp on. He mentioned this as a drawback because it prevented the aero bars from being cut short because you'd be cutting off the aluminum bit and you wouldn't be able to clamp the shifters onto the carbon fiber end directly. Is this not the case? Can you cut the Hed aero bars shorter (the upturned part) and still clamp shifters onto the carbon fiber directly?
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, looking at these you are right. WE have been cutting them off (obviously) but we have been cutting them from the back. We may have to use the stright sections from a pair of Syntace aerobars- the Streamliners.

We were in the process of fiddling with it, then I decided I wanted to go see Lord of the Rings. So I'm outta here for right now......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, you can achieve a Bjorn like position on pretty well any bike with a Look Ergostem. As you go lower, you bring the bars "in". For example, you might drop 8 cm from the top of the stem, but only have to reach "out" 3 cm. This way you don't get stretched out too far and still maintain a "tight" cockpit position and keep the power up while staying aero. Check out some pics of Chris Broardman when he first turned pro. He used this in many tt's. Also, get rid of syntace clip-ons as those bars add way too much stack height. Of course the drawback of the infinite adjustability of the Look Ergostem is weight. Another option might be a 40 degree rise MTB stem inverted, but it might results in too great a "reach".

If you use this low position, you have to practice two things. Riding at high intensity and "digesting". Secondly, you have to practice practice practice running of the bike. If you do not, your lower back and hamstrings will go on strike when you try to recruit them after T2 in your first race. I've done many races in this position and to tell you the truth, it IS faster on the bike and once you get used to it, zero impact on the run. Personally, this position worked fine for half Ironman and Olympic and I did use it at IMC 1995 and did a 5:22 bike PB, but barely digested anything for the run and came in on empty in 4:08 or so. I've only tried it once in Ironman and concluded that aside from Boness, no fast guys (until Bjorn) used this low pursuit type position for Ironman racing. You also need to get your neck used to being down low and riding with your eyeballs "rolled up". With all the riding I do, commuting with my race bike to work with a backpack, this position is more of a main in the ass in traffic, so I'm riding high like a sail, but I can digest and can run easier off the bike :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We though about using an Ergostem but didn't have one handy. Good thoughts on running off the bike. My concept is to use this for short stuff if I actually race on it at all. I just wanted to experiment with the position primarily for informational reasons- so we can talk authoritativly about it here in the store.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a pic when you're done, Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an ergo stem (quill), sitting in my basement and gathering dust. Since I started using powercranks it is almost impossible to get down in the Boardman/Bjorn position. I'll make you a deal. I'll trade the ergostem for an Ariane saddle...

I also found that with the bars really low, my flat out sprint speed (not important in tris, but important in bogus local road rides), with pursuit bars got a lot better, because otherwise, I was catching way too much air without drop bars. I do happen to ride with some enlightened roadies that will let me ride with my pursuit base bars and aero bars as long as I only use the aerobars when at the front of the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom- I have another Hed aerobar question for you (I posted this in another thread but didn't get an answer from anyone). If I'm swapping my stock setup on my P3 (Syntace Streamliners) for a Hed bar, what's the change in reach (tip of the saddle to rear-most point of armrests)? Will I need to go with a shorter/longer stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We settled on a pair of aerobar extensions from Profile Carbon Stryke aerobars, the curved section cut off to acheive the straight out, "Ulrich" effect and then installed into the base bar section of the Hed aerobar.

The entire assembly is soooooooooooooo low. The comuptrainer tests are forthcoming.....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, isn't the significant function of the Bjorn position aerodynamics? You gotta go open road man, I don't think turning the headwind feature 'on' for the computrainer will get you accurate results. ;-) And you have to stretch stretch, and stretch some more.
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yessir, you are right. But the first thing is getting used to riding like this. That will take some time.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah tom im doing the same thing----but im using my VT's to do it. I've hacked them up a good deal so far, and have built a new computer mount which so much more aero.

I have to still redrill the VT's for my new internal routing as well as put a layer of gloss black lacquer over them. But then, ill post a pic.

later

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Building the Bjorn bike: An experiment. [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shop area is awash in carbon fiber dust and used hacksaw blades. Building this bike is basically cutting carbon fiber things shorter, and shorter, and shorter...

Aerobars, steer tubes, seat posts, shifter hardware, cut, cut, cut.

WE are nearing a finished project here. It's 11:00 PM and SuperDave (shifter installer, loctite chemist) is on his way to Kentucky for an 8:00 AM appointment and I am outta here to go feed my cats and play laser tag before they go to bed.

I anticipate this project will be done tomorrow. During the test fit to check stem, crank and aerobar length and position there were indications that I may actually be able to ride in this position. Amazing. Seated on the bike I have a clear view of the UNDERSIDE of the saddle between my legs!

That is low! And it still isn't as low as Bjorn.

I'll give you the report. Good night guys........

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply