Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spread the good word....
Quote | Reply
...about how cool triathlon is. So far for the new season I've convinced both my dentist and plumber to try their first tri this season. My wife has also convinced one of the other teachers she works with to give it a go. Once done, I'm sure they'll all be hooked. My dentist is a recreational mountain biker and my plumber a recreational runner. I'm going to lend my plumber one of my road bikes to train/race on this season and my dentist wants us to drive to the big city(we live in the rural boonies) so he can look at a road/tribike. I'm trying to convince him to go for a Cervelo Soloist.

The basis of triathlon is at the age group level. With solid enthusiasm from us this will spread the growth of tri. The pros benefit thru more fan support which leads to publicity and advertising revenue.

The beauty of triathlon is that it is a participation sport. Almost anyone can find a level to participate in. What is better, to have a few super star sports figures being paid millions while the rest of the nation's children are already 40% or is it better to have more and more every day average Joe/Jill age groupers participating at the fun level. The amount of Olympic gold medals brought home by elite athletes is in no way a reflection of the general health or fitness of a nation. The health/fitness as a society is judged on how active it's members are.

So let's hear it for the age groupers that have jobs, families, etc. but still put in the time for triathlon. Let's all try to encourage others to get involved in the world's greatest sport.

And let's give a special hand for those who have over come personal problems to become triathletes. Triathletes can compose some of the unlikliest of athletes. People with former obesity, alcohol or drug problems, personal tradgedy, etc. These people are the true champions of our sport.

And yeah. And I can hardly wait until when a football or basketball game on TV is pre-empted in favor of triathlon coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Spread the good word.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Five stars- I'll throw in my agreement just to bump this back to the top of the page. I agree 100%.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spread the good word.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. After spending the morning in a flame war with Dan over the diletion of the Great Dane post, I needed to put it behind us and get a new mind set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Encourage parents to put their kids into age group swimming! Swimming is the best preparation for triathlons, IMHO. Canada has a lot of really great swim programs, particularly in Ontario. :)

Second best would be age group biking. Running can wait until they are a bit older. (rowing and x-country skiing get big nods of approval as well)

Anyway, get them into any endurance activity young and they'll probably see the benefits early and often.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got six friends from college "giving it the 'ol college try". 6 for one race! June 8th Lake Mills Sprint Tri here we come (on road bikes, mountian bikes, and even $80 Walmart specials).

burns
Quote Reply
You'd be surprised how little it takes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am frequently seen coming home from a race or bike ride by my neighbors. They are usually curious (mostly as to why I do it), but still genuinely interested. I recently discovered that neighbur to the right is training for her first sprint triathlon this summer and both kids from neighbor to the left are involved in KOS. It's amazing how a little encouragment can change someones attitude from I can't do that to I'm going to try and it's wonderful to see someone finish their first race. Cheers

Evan Nitschmann
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently filled out an application that asked for "Significant Personal Achievements". One of my responses was that I'm responsible for getting quite a few people involved in triathlon. I'm sure that if I buckle down and trained right and a lot more consistently, I would get a lot faster. But, right now, it's a hell of a lot more fun to take a newbie out and ride with them, teach them about riding, and then see their face when they've ridden farther than they every thought they could. Or, swimming with someone their first time in the Bay. Or....well, you get the picture.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the interest of getting more people involved in the sport, our tri club is putting on a seminar next week for people who have never done a tri but would like to. Triathlon 101 has more than 20 signed up already and it's limited to just new people so they won't get intimidated by "war" stories from veteran triathletes. If all goes well this will be a regular winter season seminar.

The hardest part is just getting the word out. We've posted information in all the local bike shops and running stores, plus the fitness places and YMCAs. Any other ideas on where we might try to post our info? Oh yeah, it's in the local paper too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a list of my triathlon recruits off the top of my head:

1984 - Me & my best friend

1985 - A customer at the bike shop where I worked

1986 - A co-worker and two friends at my high school

1990 - My college roommate (Then he recruited his dad)

1991 - My own dad (well, at least for a 5K run)

2001 - A pastor at my church

And this Saturday, a co-worker will run her first 5k.

The only thing I can remember telling each one of them was "have fun", and "Who cares if your last...or first?"

If this is a sport, or a hobby, or a lifestyle, our attitude is our best marketing tool.

When I'm out riding my bike, I say "hi" to everyone who's pedaling. If the other rider has aero handlebars, they're more likeley to wave back. That's a good sign for the friendly attitude in our sport.

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My three year old grandaughter when people ask her
what kinda girl is she, she responds, " I'm an irongirl." Already riding two wheeler. Is Kona next.

Slow down or Go Around.
Quote Reply
Re: Spread the good word.... [slowtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to get my 5 year old son in a kiddie tri this summer. He can ride a bike and run and he's been taking swimming lessons. As soon as he can swim the distance I'll let him do a tri. Since he was 3 he has been imitating me when I'm doing a brick workout. He'll ride his bike to the end of the block and back and then run the same distance. It's real cute! He has done a couple of running races that were a mile long. I think last summer he did his mile in about 14 minutes and only walked about a block.

I also got one of his cousins in a kiddie tri last summer and this year his other cousin wants to do it to. They both swim very well.
Quote Reply