Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ebay scams - how to report to ebay security?
Quote | Reply
Would you like to get a "brand new" Trek 5900 for a "buy it now" price of $1700 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...4&category=58093

Has full campy record. But no size listed. When I email for size I get this response:

Hello,
If you are interested,the price for the Trek 5900 road bike is $1700 US(shipping and insurance included).I can provide you 5 sizes (52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 60cm )The bike is brand new sealed in its original box and it comes with all accesories..The shipping will be made from LUXEMBOURG with FedEx International Freight and u will receive it in 2-3 days .Let me know if you are interested so we can arrange the details and close the deal right away.
All the best,
Baker

I couldn't help but respond: Oh. Ok. I'll take them all. Give me your address and I'll overnight you $8500 in unmarked 10 dollar bills. Is Mexican currency OK?

How do I notify ebay security that this is a scam? I see poor saps bidding on this stuff all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: ebay scams - how to report to ebay security? [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just had a woman in here who was taken on a broken Cannondale tri bike she bought off E-Bay.

"But I only paid $600 for the whole bike!" She kept saying.

It is a 54cm. She is 5'3" tall. You don't have to be F.I.S.T .certified to tell she got fisted on this deal.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't tell me, let me guess. They have no feedback and just registered yesterday.

Don't waste your time with these people. They are not worth the cost of an email.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I almost fell for one of those. Fortunately, a friend of mine is a the network security manager over there... his advise is this:

If it sounds too good to be true, uh, it is! Beware of sellers who ask for the $$ via Western Union (there is no way to verify their identity). Also, check the sellers feedback. It is VERY easy to hijack someone's ebay account and run scams, so don't just look at positive vs negative. Look at what the user usually sells (or buys). If they have been selling beanie babies for the last year, but suddenly are offering a plasma TV chances are REALLY good that it's a hijacked account. Another way they try to get you to trust them is with the... "... I know this sounds like a scam. So, I will ship the item to you so you can check it out - all you have to do is pay for shipping. Send $100 to Romania and I'll ship you the item." NOT! Ebay is great and I've never had a transaction go bad. But, I was minutes from sending $150 to some dude in Romania. I would have never heard the end of that one...
Reporting the scams to ebay does little good... they get thousands a week.

-------------------
Paranoia breeds loyalty.
Quote Reply