Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problems with HED Jet Rims being too large?
Quote | Reply
My fiancee uses a 650c H3 rear and older Hed Jet front, both clincher. After changing the tires a couple of times I am certain that the front Hed Jet rim is a touch too big. I have tried 3 different brands of tires on the rim (Vredestein, Michelin, and Vittoria) and all go on and off only with a great deal of force and generally the use of my super long steel Park Tire levers. The same tires go on and off the H3 without any problems. (On their site HED even says not to use Vittoria Corsas and Vredestein because they are too loose).

She is racing IM Wisconsin this fall and is rightly worried about having to do a tire change with this rim. I've snapped two plastic tire levers on it already.

We are looking for a replacement wheel and find it hard to beat the HED Jet, J2, Jet 2000 wheels for price point and overall construction. My contention is that this particular wheel or batch of wheels may have been a little out of spec on the large side. She is worried that another wheel from the same series will have the same problem. So has anyone else experienced problems with these HED wheels? The 650c in particular?

Thanks

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with HED Jet Rims being too large? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sweet,

Don't panic too much here. First of all, some brands do fit tighter than others. Continentals are usually a little snug. Usually, the tire will stretch with time and then go on and off easier. If you run the tires at 110 psi + for a little while and actually do some miles on them I think you will get enough stretch to make them easier to get on and off.

Also, be sure to talc the tubes. Michael R. Rabe used to regularly be seen in a cloud of talcum powder when installing tubes in clincher rims. Talcum powder, or any absorbent powder, will absorb moisture and help prevent the tube from binding against the tire. It may also help reduce the chances of the tube being pinched between the rim and the tire, a dreaded pinch flat, the bane of the clincher tire.

And finally, if you do remove the tire a few times, replace it and then inflate it and ride it and repeat then it will be a good bit looser by race day, facilitating easier flat changes. In the mean time, this gives you an excuse to practice changing flats.

There, aren;t you guys proud of me? I didn't mention tubulars once................... :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a few things that may help: if you want to try to use the wheel you got, make sure you use the thinnest rim tape you can get away with--as any tire bead has to go OVER the rim tape. for example, velox tape is good in general, but would be bad for your situation since it is fairly thick. try a plastic rim tape in this situation. also, use tires no narrower than 23c, as narrower tires seem to be noticably tighter with regard to the beads. good luck.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rims aren't too large, but the rim bed may be a bit shallow. Don't use plastic rimstrip, you should try ROX instead, it's very light, durable, and for your case, thin.

Otherwise, take solace knowing you will probably never roll a tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. A thinner rim strip might just do the trick.

The tires that were hard to remove were more than properly stretched. The Vittoria and Michelin were on there for at least a year continually inflated to 100+ psi.

I always use talcum powder. Some people don't? :)

Tom, I'm with you on the tubulars. Tool-free removal and installation- who can argue with that?

Sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I can't answer for you, but I just wanted to share the joke I've enjoyed with a friend recently. Following a recent spate of multiple flats, leaks, and just plain bad tire karma (on all three of my bikes) I was mounting a new Conti GP 3000 on my Ritchey real wheel, which has given me the most grief of all.

After wasting the first tube with a pinch before I could even get the bead over the rim I commented to my friend and fellow bike geek that Ritchey must have made the rim in "705c" size, as no matter what brand/type of tire I use on that rim it's always too hard to mount and prone to pinch flats no matter how careful I am about mounting.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply