Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

chain length
Quote | Reply
just put a new chain on my p3 this morning. i cut it to the same length as my old one but in Zinn's bike tech book he had a way to tell chain length: when chain is on big chainring & small cog the rear derailleur cogs should align vertically. using this test i reckon my chain was maybe a link or 2 long. but i hadnt noticed any problems with my old chain so I just kept it the same length. so my question is: does chain length matter? obviously there is a limit of what will work but assuming you are in the right ball park does a link more or less make any measurable difference?

any insight on this fascinating conundrum greatly appreciated.

if you think this question was exciting, wait till you here my next one about how long you should let tubular glue dry. Its a corker!

today i am office space guy. should be out riding but my boss called me in to do TPS reports. damn where is Jennifer Aniston?
Quote Reply
Correct me if wrong - BUT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beleive its supposed to be:

Large chainring - largest cog

Then the pulleys should be vertically aligned.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: chain length [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm, well, there are various (largely erroneous) old world theories about running a "slack chain" mostly propagated by wrinkly old Euro team mechanics who call a derailleur a "mech" and refer to Campagnolo as "Campag" and still talk about how great Jacques Anquetil was but what a shame "the vitamins killed him".

So....... If the chain exerts some spring tension when it is in the small chainring and small cog- that is, it is stretching the rear derailleur (that's "mech" for you, Alexandre Goodunof) against its rotational spring just slightly then it is probably short enough.

I hope that helps. did you soak your cycling shoes in water, salt and vinegar before you rode in them? Saddle sores? A small piece of rare steak over the wound inside your shorts will fix you right up.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Hey, common now Tom [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nothing wrong with non-aero/cable out o' da top gummy brake hoods, bars at least two sizes two small but covered in oh-so-ginchy clothe tape, cottered cranks, center pull Mafac brakes and solomente friction shifting.

Get in touch with your inner Grant--long live the lug, 531 and Hueret.

;-)~

Scott
Quote Reply