Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular tape v glue
Quote | Reply
Probably be hashed over before but.....who has experience with the Tufo tape? Good results? Any concerns or installation tricks?
Quote Reply
I use the tape... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and never had any problems. The glue looks so messy. It has served me well last year up to and including IMFL. I highly recommend the tape for ease of use.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tape v glue [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the tape rocks , clean ,simple, and hard to strip the tire off later,so leave a 3" blank spot to get it started. i have no fear of rolling a tire since changing tires this winter.

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
Re: I use the tape... [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm, Interesting. I have glued tires in the back of a team car while winding down a descent in a race in Europe. I have never had a problem with the glue once someone was kind enough to take the time to show me how to do it correctly.

Failing that, I know I would have made a mess.

I haven;t used the tape since I have good luck with the glue, but based on yours and a couple other people's recommendation I will give it a try. It seems like it would be much faster than having to wait for the glue to "set-up".

Do you think its sticky enough? What brand are you using?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I use the tape... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use the tufo, as far as how sticky it is ... while mounting the tire it's sticky,but not like glue , you can easily recenter/schcooch the tire where you need to. it's contact strength is activated on inflation. full strength instantly, no more tentative cornering post flat :)

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
Re: I use the tape... [spaceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I have asked this before, but what is the experience with changing flats when tape has been used. Could one carry more tape and simply retape the tire and apply the spare, or is this too time consuming and difficult? Which tape do you use, the extreme or the standard?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: I use the tape... [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use the regular. if the tape stays on the rim you can reuse it, but i carry tape w/my spare . i do keep it in a plastic sleeve tho, i dont know how it deals w/ getting wet. i will experiment and post.

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
TUFO [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been racing tubulars for about 10 years and always used glue until Tufo made the tape. I've used the tape ever since. I love the stuff. No mess, no glue to clean up, sticks like crazy, no waiting for glue to dry and then get back to the rim too late and its dry!! : (

I've NEVER flatted a tubular so as far as carrying a spare glue tape, I guess I'll start carrying one, just in case. I usually use the tubbies only for racing and I don't carry a spare or parts unless its more the 1/2 IM distance. In sprint and olympics I carry no spares. If I flat -- I'm out!

The only down side I see is the glue of the tape tends to squeeze out the sides as it heats up and forms a bead, which then hardens and will lightly hit the brake pads if you run your pads tight.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular tape v glue [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some, I use glue for the rims but bring the tape along in races with my spare. I know many people say that a tubular will make it back w/o but I would rather feel secure and the tape is light so it isn't that big of a deal.
Quote Reply