Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Position of spare Tub in races
Quote | Reply
I noticed on the pics from IMNZ that many of the pros are positioning their spare tubulars not under their saddle but under their top tubes! Clas had his folded 3 times and taped it to the bottom of his top tube (P3 frame). I noticed one where the tub was taped al along the bottom of the top tube (full length).

Normally one would see the tub tied under the seat.

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had mine under the seat in front of my Minora bottle cage holder and it worked perfectly. I wonder why the "under the top tube" configuration?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im racing in my first IM this year and was wondering if most people carry only one spare tubular. In the shorter distances I've never carried one, but for a full I figure one is enough. If I flatted twice on tubulars it just wouldnt be my day. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The routine in some races is, if you carry one spare the neutral support people will support you if you flat a second time. In other words, no spare no help.

The problem with having any reliance on the neutral support guys is, despite their excellent work and very best intentions, they are always spread very thin on an Ironman distance bike course. That means you could be standing there 30 minutes waiting for an official to radio in a tech support vehicle if you're lucky.

I noticed Bjorn Andersson mentioned he used the stuff you put in a TUFO tire to prevent flats- the liquid sealant. I'm not a big fan of that but some people like it.

I think if you make certain your tires on your bike are fresh, new and free of cuts and then carry one spare you will be OK.

Good luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not put TWO tubs and your powerbars, Co2 cannisters, salt tablets ........ etc into a never reach capsule? You can buy the capsule on its own at http://www.neverreach.com According to the manufacturers claims (see bottom of page) they actually improve aerodynamics just by being on the bike!

Seriously though according to John Cobb their is no aeronamic disadvantage to using one http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tr/waterbottles.html whereas I would expect that all that stuff strapped here their and everywhere on the bike is not very aerodynamic. If you cut off the filler cap (and drill a drainage hole in the bottom) it would be more aero still and it may even meet the manufacturers claims!?

• Rated #1 aerodynamic hydration system by PK Racing in May 2003 Triathlete Magazine article
  • Tests results indicate a 35 second performance increase in a 40-kilometer time trial by just having NeverReach mounted!!
  • Features a unique aerodynamic shape - a teardrop that reduces wind resistance

Cheers AndyA
Last edited by: AndyA: Mar 12, 04 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why don't you just carry a complete tool kit as well: a full set of allen keys, (long style), chain breaker, chain whip.. just in case you wanna change out your cog set.. another cog set.. in case on of yours gets bent..
i can't believe all the stuff people carry in a race.. while i have never done an IM.. i'm still quite enjoying sprint races, but the principle is the same.. in my races i don't carry anything but 1 water bottle (500ml) and maybe a gel taped to the bike if the ride is over 30 k, (i figure if i flat, or break something, i'm out of a podium position automatically) but i see people quite regularly breaking out two water bottles, (750 ml ones), a complete mini-tool kit, 2 tubulars, or 2 inner tubes, a frame pump!! and god knows what else.. that must quite easily weigh a solid 2-3 pounds... so, your spending a solid 3-4K for a 16-17 lb bike, and you've just added 2-3 pounds in extra gear to it..
In an IM, i might make the concession of an extra tire (i ride tubulars), a CO2 inflater, and maybe one of those multitool deals... (but that's debatable), the NeverReach, while i'm sure helps aerodynmics, looks like your bringing a trailor along with you.. it reminds me of the time i saw a dodge prowler.. but with a matching mini trailor!.. sacraligous in my opinion..
anyhow.. i just don't get why everyone brings so much stuff..
but thats just my .02 c,

rant done

David
Quote Reply
Re: Position of spare Tub in races [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most IM triathletes carry that stuff because they want to finish after training all year and paying out XXX dollars to enter. I have done a few and never punctured but wouldn't risk racing without two tubs, the stuff I listed was a little tongue in cheek, but only the basics.

Do a couple of IM and you might understand!

AndyA
Quote Reply