Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP
Quote | Reply
OK, I thought I would take an item that I posted on the other thread about the South African couple helping one another and publicly admit to my sin of outside assistance.

In 1999, I did my 7th Ironman and first Ironman Lake Placid. Completing loop 1 of the run, I turned right onto Mirror Lake drive, and suddenly my mother jumps out of the crowd. All 5"0' tall and 100 lbs and starts running beside me. The crowd roars. I felt I was running pretty good and was glad to have her company. Then thought of getting DQ'd popped into my head. Suddenly, I hear another roar from the crowd. Hellriegel is closing on me. Yikes, I tell me mother to step off the road. Hellriegel finishes in 8:36. I do loop 2 in exactly 2 hours and finish in 10:36.

My mom is not a runner. She runs once a year. Anywhere between 100m and 1000m on Mirror Lake Drive in Lake Placid. She's done it the past 5 Ironman LP's. Should I be DQ'd ? I don't know. I don't care. I did the whole distance using my own energy. Having her there stride for stride for a very short time in a 10+ hour day is truly priceless. Would I trade her not cheering me for a lifetime unachieved goal of going to KONA. No way !

But the best was from Ironman LP 2002. I was running at at 3:47 pace, so reasonably respectable for the LP course. On Mirror Lake drive, she pops out the crowd. I'm going through a bad patch and she's cheering me on. I try to surge to drop this 60 year old woman, in jeans, street shoes and carrying an umbrella. Yep, I'm a finely tuned Ironman athlete with 5% body fat and enough miles in my running shoes to have run around the earth a few times in my life. I CAN'T DROP THIS WOMAN. After around 500m, it was getting a bit embarrassing, so I stopped, gave her a hug, and told her to leave lest I get DQ'd.

I'm a poser. I can't even drop my 60+ year old mom :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That isn't a DQ, just a stand down penalty. You took a chance, and the statute of limitations just expired. I think you are safe now.
Quote Reply
Re: I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. I only read a few of the posts on that couple in the other post. It wasn't worth reading anymore of it.

Ironman racing to me is exactly what you're talking about here. Likely, it's the same kind of stuff going on in the picture. There are far too many more serious problems in the world than someone helping someone else out in a time of pain.

Thanks for sharing.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to both of you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year after IMCDA a very good friend (who happens to be 74 years old) & I were checking the results and saw that he received a penalty for outside assistance. As it happens Charlie Crawford was standing near by so my friend asked what the infraction was. Charlie got out his notes and read "Ran with female nonparticipant for 1 block". It was my friend's 73 year old wife who walked with him for a block through town. My friend just smiled and thanked Charlie for the explanation. I don't think he would have traded that one block with his wife for anything in the world.
That moment taught me a lot about love & commitment in a marriage.

Gary MC

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my first IM I was about 1mile away from the finish line, when my girlfriend started running with me, absolutely ecstatic that I was about to do it. After about 3/400 yards, I told her that I risked being disqualified, so she reluctantly pulled aside and I "triumphantly" crossed the finish line. Almost right away I realized what a sorry dick I had been. She had endured plenty of miserable days, had flown with me, had been up since 4am and now she couldn't even share that moment with me? I spent the rest of the day apologizing, claiming the lack of oxygen and the fatigue for my very poor judgement and I swore I wasn't gonna do it anymore.
Now I dig those last 1,500 meters, it's like I have two crossing lines and I really look forward to sharing that great moment with a person I love. Should they ever dq me, I wouldn't care, that race would just lose a customer.
Life is a lot more important than tris.
Would I act like that South African husband did?
You bet I would!
Quote Reply
Re: I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that rules should be strictly enforced for the competitors where it makes a big difference. If someone is going to take a Hawaii spot from me because they did a big chunk of the ride behind someone else's wheel or if they have a friend ride alongside them on the run course and hand them drinks and pace them then give them a penalty or a dq. Since the officials are usually not handing out the penalty or dq on the spot and make notes of the infraction, they should be able to look at the final results and use some judgement .... ie. a 74 year old runs/walks with his wife for 1 block deserves no penalty, an age group male coming in at 13 hours running with his girlfriend to the finish line (as long as they aren't blocking anyone in the process)..... who cares? So many competitors do ironman races to test themselves and a little encouragement along the way is welcome. While I didn't get any official "outside assistance" at IMFL, it sure was nice when I was leaving T2 and at the run halfway point to see me wife and two kids cheering me on (My 8 year old was yelling to go for Hawaii... I think that she wanted to go as much as I did) since it gives you a lift during a long day. The same can be said for the huge crowds offering support at IMC. How is this different than having your mother jog alongside you for a short time? I think that there is a huge difference between this type of support and the kind of blatant cheating that should be dealt with.
Quote Reply
Re: I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People carry their babies across the finish line with them. I am okay with that, but I think they ought to have to carry them the entire race...:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMLP one year, the winner of the womens race (guess who that was) - was paced on most of the run by her husband / coach, and his coaching partner (they were in bicycles)...was that fair?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: I was paced by my 60 year old mother at Ironman LP [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the coaches of "underpants fame ?". Either way, it would unlikely change the outcome unless it was 2001 when Fuhr just beat Zeiger by a "sliver" (2 min)

Glad to see that you folks of slowtwitch are OK with my yearly infraction with the letter of the law :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful. Best story I've read here in some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story. My folks have come out to Ironmans in Lake Placid and Madison with me over the past three years, and their support has always helped make my day special. They get up early too, and wait there for hours in all kinds of weather just to see me zoom by a few times in a long, long day. My mom's never come out to run with me, but if she wanted to, that's no problem with me. Life's to short to worry about USAT rules. At least that one.

Quote Reply