Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [IronMny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is 12 weeks pregnant and I am training for IMUSA. She is a fitness trainer and travels every weekend to conduct the trainings. She is 41, by the way. It took us a year to get pregnant and now that we are, the OBGYN said that if you WANTED to lose the pregnancy, you couldn't do it through regular exerise. Although he also said that if you did lose the pregnancy for whatever the reason, you might feel guilty about having exercised.

IMHO and from what the doctor has told us, exercise is good for both the parents and the baby. I think monitoring the intensity is the most important thing while you're trying and once you're pregnant.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [pennylongdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penny,

As the husband of a person who has suffered 5 miscarriages and lived through the prospect that she may never have a child, I speak from the perspective of better safe than sorry.

My wife's miscarriages were unvoidable in that there was no way to cause or prevent them from occuring.

We were lucky enough to bring a healthy child into the world who is now 7. Even with our little miracle, my wife mourns the unborn children. The pain is less today due to time but it still exists. If you were to ask women who have miscarried, they would tell you the same. The loss never leaves you. Also if you start discussing miscarriage, you'll find that many many women have miscarried and they don't discuss it. I'd bet you have a sister, mother or cousin who has miscarried and they never shared the story. Discussion is very painful and the usual platitudes of "it was God's will" and Whats done is done" and "things work out for the best" only infuriate a woman who is greiving the loss of an unborn child. Unless you have lived this, one has no idea how even good intentioned comments cut like a knife.

Now, the fact that I'm even reading this forum ought to tell you that I'm pro exercise.

The OP was asking about racing specifically and that is what I took exception to.

"So I've read all the info on pregnancy and training thats around , though I am always looking for more, BUT I haven't really found much information about racing. "

Perhaps my response was worded too strongly for some but that was my intent. I'm sure if he and I spoke in person, we would have had the same conversation without the tone and attitude. I'm not bashing just to be bashing. I do feel very strongly about the health of mother and child.

I hope that you have your family soon and I wish all of you enjoy much happiness and health.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [sjudice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stephen I am sorry you had such terrible experience, but I must ask where on Medline you came up with those perinatal mortality rates. I don't believe them. They seem very high (esp in the singleton group).
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [chriswaites] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

I will post the citations when I return from a trip next week. I do not have acess to the raw data myself since I am a molecular geneticist, but the methodology did not seem complicated; just count the numbers.

Stephen Judice

I believe my local reality has been violated.

Prev Next