Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride?
Quote | Reply
Those of you who race IMNZ, what tire did you ride, and were you happy with it's performance?

Tom, how did those 22mm contis work out?

Bjorn, we're dying to know, was that Hed3 front wheel a clincher wheel? And what tires did you use?

Others?
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride? [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Continental Competition 22mm tubulars I used worked very, very well. I was happy with them. Ride qualty was fine, no flats (thank goodness after my soapbox dissertation and blanket condemnation of racing clinchers. After that, I deserved a flat...) and they felt plenty fast. I doubt there is any equipment I could have used that would have made me faster. I do regret not using a disk though. That was a bad decision.

Of course, the moment I read that Bjorn Andersson used a pair of 19mm tubulars inflated to 150 psi I felt like a little girl on a Barbie bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced conti gp 3000's, 23mm front and back, 115psi, Corima 12 spoke on front and Corima 4 spoke on back. No problem at all with clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom, i'm in the process of deciding what racing tubulars to buy this season. i've been riding conti sprinters but after all your (and others') glorious praise of them, i was ready to buy tufos. then you go and pick conti's for IMNZ! can i ask why? what about the dreaded "hop"everyone talks about with conti's? i've never experienced it myself, but after reading about it so much, i figured i had just been lucky up to now!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mister A ran tubs front and back -- not sure of the brand. I ran tubs as well -- Podiums inflated to 120 psi
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, absolutely.

The reason I used the Continentals instead of the TUFOs was becasue I didn't have any 22m TUFOs in stock at the time I set up my race wheels. So it was a matter of using what I had at hand.

They are both excellent tires. Now, given the choice, yes I would have used the TUFOs since I have had such good experiences with them. But then again, I have had good experiences with Continental too, I won four state championships on them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I rode Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie, 23mm pumped to around 100psi. I have recently switched from Conti GP3000's due to access to wholesale Maxxis. I certainly don't regret the change. The Maxxis tyres seem to be a little more flexible in the sidewall, which is GREAT for NZ conditions. These are on my brilliant Hed Alps. Quick disclaimer, I'm no cyclist and am pretty bummed with my cycle time this year in Taupo. This however wasn't a result of my wheel/tyre combo!

Cheers, Scott Emmens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22mm conti sprinter tubs inflated to 120-130 psi (at least the rear one was when I got to T1, unfortunately the front neded to be repaired by the bike guys because itr was flat.

I then had a nervous 180km on a front tubular that I was sh$t scared about rolling!!!!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 650C clinchers on Aerohead wheels. Conti GP3000's pumped to only 110PSI.

I respect the rough chip seal roads at Taupo and after racing with a broken pelvis at IMNZ in 2000, I wanted comfort, especially since I know I was gonna be out there for over 6 hours.

slow bike....fast run (for me)

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22mm uuugly Vittoria Open Corsa CX TT on front
22mm Conti Comp on back
Hed3's all around.

No punctures and I was comfy, so I guess the worked well.

my NEW Conti Comps showed up yesterday. oops.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used tufo S3 lite 19mm with the tire sealant.

The wheels were a zipp rear disc and as Gordo mentioned a hed 3 front, both tubular. Thanks to Michael, Brent and Hillary for lending me the wheels. I'm astounded by the generosity and helpfulness people in the tri-community showed when Gordo tried to get me some race wheels for NZ so thanks for that everyone.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride? [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't quite understand how you didn't have a wheel sponsorship before, based on some great results last year, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it won't be a problem from now on! I was stunned to read on gordo's board that you needed to borrow race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ tire survey - what did you ride? [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much weight the tire selant adds? Anybody have any idea? Is it even significant?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else felt the Conti "hop"? I used some Conti Podiums last year at IM-FL & felt it. Never felt it before...but always ran Comps
Quote Reply