Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Stays
Quote | Reply
Hi

Im thinking of buying a trek 2200 for and am wondering what the general feeling is about carbon all mixed framesets eg carbon stays

?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Stays [The J-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been batted around a bit here already.

Take a look at: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=70568

I'm sure people will weigh in with other thoughts though.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past Carbon seatstay's have been hotly debated. The reason being in the early stages of "franken bikes" (to which bunnyman was so opposed) had problems with frame failure. Manufacturers weren't bonding them right, and comfort and weight were always called to attention. In the past couple of years though manufacturers have really gotten their act togethor. ( I believe even Mr. Bunny excepts them now, though you'd have to ask him to be sure.)

The Trek 2200 is a nice bike, and with the frames I've seen it seems to be solid. Trek does back their bikes with a nice warrenty also. My one concern is with the frames though, there doesn't seem to be any clearcoat/finish on top of the decals. Thus they could tear and/or peel quite badly. This is purely cosmetic, but that's a big deal to me.

-It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi

Im thinking of buying a trek 2200 for and am wondering what the general feeling is about carbon all mixed framesets eg carbon stays

?

I just ordered a new QR Caliente frame, which has big flashy carbon stays on it. I will be frank in saying I think carbon stays are stupid, and strictly a marketing ploy. But, they don't make the bike any worse, and I chose the bike for other reasons.

The guilty-pleasure part of my brain thinks they look pretty cool, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Stays [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admit it, you got the bike because of the flames... Very cool looking bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Stays [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But, they don't make the bike any worse,..."

You mean other than adding weight, cost, and potentially additional point(s) of failure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My feeling is this:

carbon stays are made to where they are idiot-proof. Trek has the experience bonding al to carbon over many, many years (as they had several carbon tube and al lugged bikes over the years) and learned through mistakes how to make it work.

Would I get it because of carbon stays? No.

But, the modern carbon stay does insure a straighter rear end. This is the advantage. I have no other advantage on an aluminium frame. I will NOT have a frankenbike unless someone like Trek or Mandaric built it.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Stays [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mandaric built mine. Mine are BEEFY stays, not the skinny ones that I see on other bikes. This technique results in a rear end that is stiffer...I don't know if it makes it more "comfortable". It is also very straight.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply