Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually called zipp two times for this same reason. Both people I talked with said that acetone will not hurt the whell or effect integrity.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bestone rubber cement thinner, find it at your local art store. pricier than acetone but gets the old glue off much easier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my second-hand carbon wheel came with plenty of gunk on it, but it was the hard red glue, fossilized after several years. I used acetone but it had no effect, either on the glue or on the rim. A butter knife (no sharp edges) scraped the worst of it off.

Acetone probably won't harm the carbon as long as you don't let it sit for hours. The rim is itself a compound of carbon and glue, depending on the glue (epoxy) it's possible some of the solvents could attack it.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again, Bestone rubber cement thinner, eats away even the most stubborn glue
Quote Reply
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai,

Who typically carries it? Home Depot? Office or Art supply stores?

google didn't recognize name

Thanks

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Figured out problem... It's Bestine not Bestone
Quote Reply
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooops, sorry about that one, but it does work great, think i've made that mistake before
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Acetone only eats away at UNCURED or INCOMPLETELY MIXED epoxy. But, there are better ways to clean off tub glue.

I finally tried Bestine cleaner and it works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Glue removal on carbon rims; Acetone or not? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it safe to use lacquer thinners? Seems like acetone is not available around in the shops where I live.

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply