Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Bottle Mount
Quote | Reply
I've searched the forum and read the threads, but my question hasn't popped up anywhere. I am contemplating purchasing a rear bottle mount system for my bike. I have a road bike with tri set up, so the seat post is not an issue. My question is - will I be able to attach the mount system (like the Profile Aquarack or the SPT) and STILL be able to attach my seat bag that contains my tubes, CO2, etc? That's my main concern. Anyone have any suggestions?

ALSO - I am doing two 1/2 ironmans this summer and I am concerned about fueling. I have the front aerodrink system. When I grab a new bottle at an aid station, how do I go about filling up the aerodrink? Do I try to squeeze the new drink (gatorade or whatever) into the bottle through that yellow mesh thingie that came with the system (which sucks, by the way) or do I take that thingie out while refilling? Keep in mind I really don't want to be all over the road while doing this!

Any help would be great. I feel like such a rookie (well, I guess I am!) Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the minoura ($12) behind the seat bottle holder with cheap $1 bottle cages. There is enough room for the traditional under seat bag and I don't think it is possible to launch bottles - at least you won't launch bottles in any situation that won't launch the rider as well.

For aid stations, call out ahead of time whether you want water or gatorade and yell "no lid". When you get the bottle dump it right on top of the yellow mesh then toss the bottle. Whatever you do, practice it beforehand so that you're not weaving all other the place endangering yourself and the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the minoura, well executed design. Keeps the bottles low enough so you can still swing your leg over the back coming into T2.

You CAN launch bottles with the Minoura and profile cages on a softride, done it with out getting launched myself. We're talking speed bump though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an XLab Flatwing. if you buy all the fancy attachments there's places for the CO2 cart. and spares. I use one cage for my water bottle and one cage for a small bag with my CO2 and spare stuff. You can always keep spare water bottles in the frame cages (unless you have a Zipp 2001 with no frame mounting bolts.).

I've tried the aerobar mounted drnk systems and hated them. They destroy your bike handling. All that water wieght attached to the handle bars kills your ability to control the bike. I use a custom mounted drink system. We've made numerous systems that attach a camel back tube to a water bottle and the tube runs to the aerobar so you never have to move to drink. The water bottles can be mounted behind the seat or on the frame. Its like a "Never Reach" but uses a regular bike water bottle. You can attach either 1 or 2 bottles to the system depending on the distance you're riding.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll disagree on the Minoura. I used to launch bottles all the time with it. I tried all sorts of different cages but no luck. Since switching to an Xlab Flatwing I haven't lauched a single bottle, plus I don't need to use an underseat bag anymore since can mount CO2, tube, tools, etc on the Flatwing using the velcro straps and still mount 2 bottles. Just my $0.02 FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Uptown,

I have been using rear mounts since the Trimble 1st came out in the late 80s. I like the Minoura by far the best. See it (and I'd buy it) here: http://www.endurosport.com/equipment/cycling/min-rm.php3 . I have had no problems at all with bottle launching. It is strong, simple, light, and puts the bottles in a great position.

This pack: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/flatkit.shtml fits right under/in front of the supports. It makes a great combination. Good Luck!!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Mar 10, 04 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read John Cobb's water bottle aero analysis from last Aug or so. Behind the seat bottle launchers are no different than the tried and tested cages on your frame. As they say, out of sight out of mind. When you can see your bottles, you are more likely to actually drink ! Forget about the launchers and go with real cages on your frame. I've even seen TdF riders use them in long TT's !
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange how we've had different experiences with the same product. I had a similar experience to Tom. I had a flatwing and went to the Minoura. No problems whatsoever with the Minoura. I never launch bottles. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my bottles face inwards(towards the front of the bike) instead towards the rear.

The other problem I have with the flatwing is it's limited durability. There's plenty of bouncing going on in that area, and there are lots of parts to the flatwing that eventually loosen and come apart.
Last edited by: jaylew: Mar 10, 04 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Forget about the launchers and go with real cages on your frame. I've even seen TdF riders use them in long TT's !
Many of us don't have an option if we're going long. Some bikes only have bosses for one bottle cage(P3).
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: "Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my bottles face inwards(towards the front of the bike) instead towards the rear. "

I think you're exactly right. It really depends on the angle of the seat rails where the mount attaches. From an intuitive standpoint, it makes sense that the bottle would be less likely to pop out if it's slightly angled forward instead of backward.

As far as thedurability of the Flatwing, I haven't had any issues to date with it. I check all those bolts every time I do a regular cleaning, along with all the other bolts on the bike, and haven't come across a loose one yet. The CO2 cartridges will sometimes work themselves loose a little, but a little teflon tape on the threads keeps them nice and tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bent my Minoura slightly so that the bottles point directly up & down, no tilt either way. I think a lot of the launching has to do with th fancy expensive cages that save a gram or two but must use vaseline to hold the bottles in. I use the cheap aluminum cages that you see on all the low end bikes.

About aero-ness of behind the seat:
Try riding long bricks down here in TX in the summer, I need the aerodrink, my one frame mount bottle and the 2 behind the seat bottles and I still have to stop for a refill. I think I'll order some of those over-sized water bottles for this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key to prevent bottle launching with rear mounted drinking sytsems like the X-Labs or the Minoura set-up is using the Elite Cuissi cages that you can bend a bit inward so they're tight around the bottle(s). These cages also have nice little gripper plastic thingees that give it extra holding power in bumpy situations.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Good call.

I agree - stick with the frame cages/bottles. They are safer, more accessible, easier to mount, less expensive, and have, as you have noted little or no impact on aerodynamics.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: "The water bottles can be mounted behind the seat or on the frame. Its like a "Never Reach" but uses a regular bike water bottle. You can attach either 1 or 2 bottles to the system depending on the distance you're riding. "

Rocketman, is your design similar to this from http://gomb-er.com/ ---->

Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [ktw70115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it is different in that the tubes come out the bottom of the bottle where a 90 degree valve is located. The tubing to attached to the value so the tubing does not crease at the turn. We custom mount the correct valve depending on which bike we ride. My Zipp frames used a straight valve without the 90 degree bend. We also can mount the bottles to the behind the seat rack or a frame cage. We have one system we all use for long distance that uses two bottles instead of one. We also mounted , on some, an in-lne on/off valve near the stem area.

I haven't had time to ount the system and take a pic yet. Our Inn is on the market and its being shown today, so we;re a tad busy after breakfast for 10 and then cleaning averything!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone second the suggestion to yell for an open bottle? I had no idea this was an option. Do RDs tell the volunteers to have open bottles on hand? Does anyone know if this service is available at Eagleman?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i see a lot of pros use the behind the seat cages, does this have any real effect on aerodynamics?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Bottle Mount [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the X-lab saddlewing. It is not the system that launches the cages, its the cages. I use the profile cages, and have never launched a bottle. I used it on my mountain bike with the same results.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply