Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Crank training report.
Quote | Reply
For those who may be interested: After about four weeks off the bike with a nasty cold, etc. I did a week last week easy on the Compu-Trainer with Powercranks on my Colnago. Today I rode against Michael R. Rabe on the 20 mile beginner circuit using the Powercranks. With warm-up and cool down I did 30 miles total- all on PCs. I felt pretty good. It is so much easier after a week. My legs feel stronger too. Avg cadence was 74 (yeah, pretty low...) Avg. power output 212 watts. My running feels much easier and I am less sore after running.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Crank training report. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom

Tks for the update - out of interest what was your average power for the same course with "normal" cranks ?

Pete
Quote Reply
Re: Power Crank training report. [pete_newing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
250 watts at cadence of 88 rpm. Remember, I have been off of the Powercranks for a while. I bet if I got on the trainer and went guts-out on the same course tommorow on my tri bike (standard cranks) I could destroy the above numbers. My current perspective of Power Cranks is that they are an excellent training tool. That may change- I am open to racing on them. I can stand and climb too, which is super cool.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your watts when your standing and climbing? Come on, impress everyone.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Power Crank training report. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw 383 once, sustained for about 10 seconds I think on a 4% grade, good for 21+ m.p.h..... Dave Koesel and Nate Griffith (who work for us, bike racers... Cat 1 and 2) climb at over 400 watts regularly for up to a minute. Epic.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same cold battle going on...but, I did my first 2+ hour ride last weekend. It seems the weather will be bad this weekend...I'm going to try and get on the rollers for a long ride this weekend...I seriously doubt I'll make it two hours...there aren't any hills to coast down on rollers!

Thanks for your PC update...it's motivating!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually your avg number are much better than the max one. 214w is pretty whereas, 383 max is rather low. 383w for a cat 1 is also pretty low. make sure the calibbration of your CT is correct.
Yesterday I did 4 laps of central park on the CT, there is an 8.1% at the end that I climbed above 600w each time, for the maye 1' the climb lasts (400yds or so). The max I ever saw is slightly above 1000w (power tap) for a sprint session. These numbers are normal for most cat1.

For info, florian Rousseau can generate 2000w in a 500m sprint race. (not sustained throughout the 500m though)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Crank training report. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2000 Watts? The only way I could generate 2000 watts on a bike is if I was holding a key attached to a kite in a thunder storm. Unreal.
Quote Reply
383 watts [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then you must still be controlling things by unweighting your body on the handlebars. Once you are comfortable and adapted I predict you will get to the 6-800 watts Andrew achieved climbing Mt. Diablo (on the video on my web site). Andrew is a big guy, over 200 lbs, which helps with power generation. It will come with time and practice.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply