Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Tri Bikes for SHORT women???
Quote | Reply
Ok, so this website and plenty of others offer a TON of great comparison info for people shopping for new tri bikes. But I'm almost always disappointed when at the end of each bike review, it lists the bike sizes, and I see that there aren't any that would fit me - I'm 5'1". I know this frustration is shared by others - there are many short women in our tri club, and it seems like if you are under 5'4" or 5'5" there are almost no tri bikes to choose from - unless you go custom. Can anybody tell me where someone / anyone has done a side by side comparison of tri bikes that WOULD fit short women??? Please???? I know many women who would love this information...
THANKS!

== niki
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri Bikes for SHORT women??? [AZTriGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. Tough one. In a poll conducted on our website 82.2% of people who responded to a demographic poll (of 324 responding persons) were males between the age 18-44+. From that you can presume that a significant portion of them are between the height of 5'5" and 6'2".

In a nutshell, that means most triathletes browsing websites that feature product information are male and between 5'5" and 6'2". That explains why most bikes are built to fit persons in that range. The majority of persons are in that range according to statistics.

Do you have a short or long torso?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri Bikes for SHORT women??? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say my torso is "average" if there is such a thing. Right now I ride a LeMond road bike, women specific size 45. It fits me great and I've had no problems. Does that help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

What about a 48 cm Dual/P2K/Quintana Roo?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri Bikes for SHORT women??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the QR's have shortish top tubes I would consider those and also a 48cm Dual, which is easy to recommend because of the variable geometry seat tube angle.

Two good places to start I think....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmmm. Tough one. In a poll conducted on our website 82.2% of people who responded to a demographic poll (of 324 responding persons) were males between the age 18-44+. From that you can presume that a significant portion of them are between the height of 5'5" and 6'2".
There are men who are under 5' 8"? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Softride now make some very small frames?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
The Softride Lite [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From www.softride.com

"There are as many optimum fits as there are cyclists seeking them. The Lite is designed specifically for the needs of the small, compact rider. Softride realizes that ģsize really does matterī. Using rider input, Softride designers have created a bike combining the benefits of beam technology with size specific designs, to create an explosive package for the smaller framed rider seeking to get all they can out of their frame & fit. "

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two favorite training buddies are both 5'1. One rides a Cervelo P2K and the other has a Cannondale road bike. I'm 5'4 and have a small Softride (that I LOVE!). It does come in XS though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Triathlete has a K2 ad with a picture of Heather Fuhr's new tri-bike. Good looking bike. Supposedly it's woman-specific tri-geometry. I went to their site and didn't see it. I don't know if they are mass producing it or not. I think they're missing out on an opportunity if they aren't. I could see tons of tri-chicks riding that bike.
Quote Reply