Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shallow and Disc V. Double Deep
Quote | Reply
What is the faster set-up, I'm looking at a Rolf Prima Vigor front(or other semi deep front with low spoke counti.e Am 420) with a disc in the Rear, or going with a deep dish wheel front and back like Bontrager Carbons or Zipp 404. And any clue to what the time difference would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Shallow and Disc V. Double Deep [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if there is any data out there which will address this specific question, but as a rule the front wheel is more important aerodynamically than the rear.

To make an educated guess, out of the options you've given I would say that dual 404's (58 mm rim) would be the fastest setup, due to the deepest front rim. The Bontrager Carbon (44 mm) would probably be next, followed by the Rolf (34mm) / disc combo. There likely wouldn't be a lot of difference between the Bontrager and Rolf /Disc combo, so those positions may reverse.

What is your rationale for looking at those particular combos? Even faster would be a Hed3 front / Renn Disc combo, which would also be cheaper than the Bontragers or Zipps?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Shallow and Disc V. Double Deep [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can try and model some of these comparisons at http://www.analyticcycling.com/...WindCourse_Page.html.

What is your rationale for looking at those particular combos? Even faster would be a Hed3 front / Renn Disc combo, which would also be cheaper than the Bontragers or Zipps?

I would like to have a set of wheels that I could use in Kona(hopefully: ), and would like to keep the cost down. I have a hard time with spending 700-1000 bucks on race wheels that will only be used 7-10 times a year. With the Rolfs I can train and race on them, and just through on a Renn disc for the most of my races. As for the Hed 3 front at 125lbs I'm a little worried about controling the bike in cross winds.
Quote Reply