Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I didn't go as fast as I wanted, but I went as fast as I could. [Scott in NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott,

Based on my results I passed 334 athletes on the bike, about 23% of the entire field. It was mostly on the way back into Taupo into the wind. My bike and my position worked absolutely without flaw. It was an enormous advantage. I pushed reasonably hard into the wind too, and just rode the tailwind out to the turnaround. It was awesome.

Jeez, what is up with that pavement though?

As for my jump on Sunday, after 1.5 hours in the medical tent on Saturday evening I felt like I had been hit by a car. So, I didn't jump darn it. I'll get back there though. You're never too old to fall out of a perfectly good airplane.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't go as fast as I wanted, but I went as fast as I could. [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey asd99,

asd99 sent me a private message mentioning I had missed this question. I apologize. I do try to answer everyone who is kind enough to ask a question. Sometimes I am away from the forum for a few hours and then just blank or forget where I left off. Sorry guys.

Anyway.

I owe my preperation on the Computrainer to Michael R. Rabe, Greg Isenhower, Calvin McMahon, SuperDave Koesel and MIke Aderhold as well as the other guys for comvering for me while I was on the trainer.

I hadn't ridden a bike outside (in the U.S.) since last summer. Probably June.

I figured out what I though I had to do on the Computrainer and did it. I was doing a rotation of build-up rides culminating in 4.5+ hour rides. 4.5 hours on the Computrainer translates to about 5+ hours or more on the road. I had no problems on the bike in New Zealand nad may have been able to go 5 minutes faster, 10 If I had been smart enough to bring a disk wheel. Duy.

I did the longer rides about once every 6 days (remember my "Fallacy of 7 day weeks" thread?). I monitored my resting heart rate religiously. When it started to dip, implying my fitness was improving and I was recovered, I hit it again for 3.5-4.5 hours on the trainer.

The last Computrainer ride before IMNZ was an absolute, nut-bustin, log-shittin, snot-lockin full on epic dick chopper. Greg Isenhower didn't ride for a week after that. He was destroyed. My resting heart rate was 79 the next morning, compared to the normal 42. It was full-on race simulation. Probably one of the toughest training rides I have ever done anywhere. Customers who came in the store during those four hours were just like, "Whoa, what the hell are those guys doing?" Between Greg and I there was a puddle of perspiration and bottle spillage on the floor six feet across. Epic.

Four days after that I can remember thinking, "I think I will have at least an OK race in NZ." I did a 16 mile run outside then and didn't even feel it.

It felt good. I was getting back into some kind of shape. It had been five years since I felt that. I can remember looking at my face in the mirror and thinking- There, there's that guy again. I haven't seen him for five years.

Awesome.

Some people say they can't imagine riding a Computrainer indoors staring at the monitor for 4.5 hours. I can tell you, Greg and I did not look away from the numbers on the monitor for more than a couple seconds during that ride. We were trying to set a record on a given course and we were drafting off each other on the screen. It was like flying a big airplane low in bad weather at night on instruments. It wasn't boring. It had my full attention. It was cool.

I didn't use Powercranks but I will be using them again starting early next week. I guess the only reason I didn;t use them was becasue I have been doing some expereiments with shoes and pedals and I was trying out new bikes and positions to dial myself in for Ironman. I wanted to be in the configuration I would use for NZ.

I wish I had more time and could have used Powercranks. They have always helped my running a great deal. That is why I am going back to them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't go as fast as I wanted, but I went as fast as I could. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I can't believe you haven't ridden outside since June. Amazing!

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply

Prev Next