Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  The "BMC" could not be a P2K because it has a rear carbon triangle. Cervelo does not do rear carbon triangles.

Jimmy S.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [fireluv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time road racer - first time poster!

Seemed to me that a lot of the riders had more 'upright' positions which I would attribute to the fact that there were two climbs of varying length and grade along the 13K TT course so the differences in position may have been an attempt to help make the climbs more manageable on the TT bikes. Something else I noticed is that many of the riders have started using aero extensions that seem to be a more subtle adaptation of the style that Jan Ullrich used in the '03 TDF! Tyler was using custom Easton integrated aero bars but the bar/extensions angle seemed fairly aggressive ala Jan! Anyone notice Liberty Segouros (sp) was still riding rebadged Giant TCR Aero Composites (from their ONCE days). Finally, I also found it curious that the FDJeux.com riders all had STI shifters and not bar end shifters. As for Tyler's bike looks like it is a little bit big for him but the frame looks like it could be from the the likes of Guru or Argon 18!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good observations.

STI works well on highly technical courses. That probably contributed to Rebellin's better-than-average showing in the TT.

I agree that straight or "subtle bend" aerobars seem to be the new trend. It looks like CSC took a hacksaw to their Visiontech's, and you can't argue with their results.

I wouldn't get too worked up about Hamilton's BMC. It is more likely a custom frame from the BMC shop than a rebadged anything else. These days "rebadging" is mostly done on full carbon fiber frames (Walser, Giant) with some exceptions (P3).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say he's on a tough part of the course and on the nose of the saddle to get over the hump and this is only a brief position. One problem of photos and position is this is a small snapshot of the whole ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hate to tell you guys but bmc don't have no shop.....alll their bicycles are made in the republic of china aka taiwan...they're as swiss as specialized is american and are as a much a small shop boutique as anyone else utilizing martek for production...sorry to bust the bubble but those tt bikes are just taiwanese junk...(that being said taiwanese junk is as good or better than everyone elses junk)

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. This does not look at all "right" to me. It just seems like it could be better. Very weird. He looks so high. Very odd.

Can this be optimal?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC owe you money or something?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, perhaps you would like to tell us exactly which Chinese/Taiwanese frame it is that Hamilton is riding? Being that you're so knowledgable about the bike industry and all that.
Last edited by: john: Mar 9, 04 20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, i'm not sure if BMC owns, rents, or temporarily employs a factory in tiawan, but if they do, then that would be considered their production shop, and it would not prohibit them from creating some high quality custom frames. The only draw back would be shipping expenses, as air frieght is very expensive, and filling a carton for ocean transport requires a lot of bikes, and 6 months.

"(that being said taiwanese junk is as good or better than everyone elses junk)"

OK, why is it junk? shity weld quality? crappy frame ailinement? heavy? elaborate a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
listen guys- no need to get your panties in a bunch...i'm simply saying it's nothing speciial...it's a taiwanese built bike designed in switzerland and made in taiwan out of plug and play parts available to anyone who wants to walk aorund the taipai bicycle show with a bag of money....this is not to say it is bad....i think the position looks horrible...this just isn't a bicycle with the same amount of discipline, science and design behind it as say a cervelo p3 (which may or may not be produced poverseas but certainly isn't made in an office in toronto) or a walser or even a trek tt...anyway i'm not saying it isn't a fine bicycle...but let's admit it even the pros don't need truly great bicycles....which is fortunate because there are so few of them anymore

jerk.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but let's admit it even the pros don't need truly great bicycles...."

Agreed.

"which is fortunate because there are so few of them anymore"

What would you consider a great bicycle? I think all bicycles are pretty amazing. In a way, even the $50 WalMart specials are a design feat. Can you imagine how hard it is to make a complete bicycle and sell it at retail for about the price of dinner in a nice restaurant? Bicycles are all pretty cool and I wouldn't call any of them junk.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i say junk in the nicest way.....sort of a diminutive like when the french use the term "petit" to describe a cute fat thing.....but there is something sublime about a truly great bicycle...something rare and cutting edge and just a little bit "better" than the junk...whether this is andy walser wanting not only your fit mesurements but also wnating to know your peak wattage when he builds you a bike or richard sachs custom raking each fork to an individual frame or eddy merckx building his team riders two identically fitting bikes but one for races shorter than 100km with a quicker front end and stiffer tubing and one for courses longer than 100km with a liittle slower front end and lighter tubing...there is something very special about special bike junk....i just don't see it in the new bmc time trial bike sorry.

jerk

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing not mentioned yet is that the course was really slick on this stage. All the riders were sitting more upright than usual. Look at the pics of David Millar in the same spot.

And, unless I'm really off, that is, indeed, BMC's TT frame. It doesn't use the same type of funky seatpost cluster as the road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jerk...you know, I know what you're saying.

The bike has no "soul". It's hard to pin down exactly what it is, but certain bikes/frames are just very aesthetically pleasing or something. It's like me rolling up on somebody on the fanciest newest super bike, and noticing that their valves are NOT lined up with the tire label...drives me nuts.

Dave
Last edited by: Cafe Lactate: Mar 10, 04 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and noticing that their valves are lined up with the tire label"

Lining your valve stems up with the tire label makes it a lot easier to find that pesky thorn or piece of glass embedded in your tire. Just find the hole in your inner tube and if your valve/label line up it will take you to the problem area of your tire. It ain't all about vanity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jerk...you know, I know what you're saying.

The bike has no "soul". It's hard to pin down exactly what it is, but certain bikes/frames are just very aesthetically pleasing or something. It's like me rolling up on somebody on the fanciest newest super bike, and noticing that their valves are lined up with the tire label...drives me nuts.

Dave

You know the man (Jerk) does make a good point just the delivery was a little abrupt. I ride Giant's (TCR Aero and TCR Team Composite) and must admit that even the higher end bikes like the new Specialized robaix, Trek Madonne, 5900 SL or even a Project One, are slightly diminished in stature because they are 'mass' produced afterall! We all attach higher value to bikes like this because the manufacturers feed our desire to ride what the pros ride by offering high end reproductions. Alternatively, there are a number of bikes that although well beyond our finances, still could be considered works of art like the latest offerings from Seven, Serotta, and Merlin!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, agree with you on the bike-as-art thing but what the heck is this valve-tire label faux pas you mention??? Sorry but I see no connection between the first part of your post recognizing the aesthetic dimension of bicycling and the second part which to me sounds like superficial elitist-snobbery attitude as in "oh my god i cant believe he wears his cap bill flipped down. that is so last season." but this could just be because i don't understand what the faux-pas is that drives you nuts....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I see your point, but I'm not sure Walser's are a good example. Aren't they only available in like 2 sizes? That's not very unique or customizable.

As for TT bikes, the only truly unique, "soulful" one I can think of is Ulrich's old Pinarello/FES that was adapted from the track. 24" front tri spoke, 700c rear, carbon frame. A one-off, I think. That bike was truly cool.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [john and johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...it is vanity viewed from one perspective. The way I was "taught" to wrench was more pride in your work. Meaning cassette spacers (if labeled) line up, everything is readable from drivetrain side, or while on the saddle, hub label is readable from valve hole, no excess computer cables, no unsnipped zip ties, etc.

Mr. Savage...it is superficial snobbery attitude...(and it should be read "NOT lined up")...I would be the first to admit it. However, I don't treat the rider any differently. He/she may not have been the person that set-up the bike. I believe that at any price range, a mechanic should treat each bike as if it's his/her own. My snobbery is reserved for those who don't respect their fellow cyclist enough to do the little things that will make life easier for said cyclist (per John's comment on finding the cause of the flat). The other things above are, well...like a secret handshake for those with grimy fingernails, bleeding knuckles, and calloused palms.

Or maybe it's just me...I've been accused of living in my own little world before. :)

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you are a pro, or pro mechanic, you just throw the tire away. There is no need to find out where the thorn or whatever was.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...but if you're on the road on a training ride, you'd look pretty silly standing around wondering why your new inner tube has a hole in it all of a sudden.

Dave (so not pro)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are not talking about my position. That would be boring. A poster specifically mentioned that Tylers werent lined up. They dont need to line them up as the have boxes of Tubies in the wrench van. They throw them away every day and start with fresh tubies. On Tylers bike there is no need to find the problem since he will probably be done with the race by the time they find it anyhow. The mechanic has like 8 bikes to tear down and rebuild. Why would he need to find a hole in a tire?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of Tyler's position.... [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe we have entered the zone known as "thread drift".

My bad...I was no longer talking about Tyler or any Euro-pro in a race...and you really can't line up tire label and valve...that's done at the factory anyways.

Dave
Quote Reply

Prev Next