Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best option for playing ipod nano in the car
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to go for playing an ipod nano in the car?

I've heard the FM transmitters don't work very well. I have a cassette deck in one car, but not the other - therefore I'm not crazy about the cassette adapter. Are there really no FM transmitters available that work?

I need to keep the cost cheap - if it is too expensive, I'll just burn CD's.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for playing ipod nano in the car [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheap options are limited if you don't have a cassette player.

A sony cassette adapter (that was the best one back when I used one in my last vehicle) is about $12-15 and sounds pretty good.

Depending on the make & model of your car, you may be able to get an adapter for $60-100 that installs in the back of your head unit in a port made for an external CD player to make it work as an auxillary input; I have one in both my cars to input a satellite radio but it would work great for an ipod too. Blitzsafe and PIE are two companies that make them.

Other than that, you can replace your original equipment radio with one that supports auxillary input. You can get them for around $100 from Crutchfield.com and some other websites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go any further, make sure you check out your current radio. I fretted over the same issue for several weeks then discoverd my radio supported an "Aux" input and just needed a $35 adapter cable to plug the iPod directly into the radio.

It's worth a look or even taking a quick trip to a car audio shop for a little consultation. You just might get lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Griffin RoadTrip and it works great. Occasionally I have to pick a new frequency to listen on, but other then that it is perfect.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Best option for playing ipod nano in the car [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good advice, I hadn't thought of that.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belkin - $65 at Costco. Plugs into lighter and holds/charges Ipod. Sounds off through car stereo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO NOT, NOT, NOT get the Fm transmitter. Go with an adapter through the head unit or the cassette deck. There is another option which requires switching back and forth through your antenna input, and then there is this:

SoundLinQ (Model SLI) - Auxiliary Input Adapter with Apple® iPod™ interface (fits most Toyota/Lexus vehicles 2001-2007) Our SLI adapter allows you to have one universal audio Auxiliary input (uncontrolled source) and one audio input dedicated to integrate your Apple® iPod™ (3G/4G/mini/Photo,Nano and Video) directly into Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system (controlled source). You can now listen and control your iPod™ through the vehicle's head unit and audio steering wheel controls. No more Cassette Adaptors, FM Transmitters, or Cigarette Lighter Chargers. Enjoy the clear, genuine high quality sound through your factory audio system. SLI provides direct Plug-and-Play connection to Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system and supports vehicles with and without Navigation system.

Lexus GX470 iPod™ integration
MD changer emulation mode

Our unique technology allows you to keep all factory installed components (such as 6-disc CD changer, CD/DVD changer). When you connect SLI to the audio system, Toyota/Lexus recognizes it as an additional CD or MD changer.

SLI can be set up in CD changer emulation mode or MD changer emulation mode. We suggest to use MD changer mode ONLY if your Radio supports MiniDisc changer with MD-TEXT, otherwise MD CHANGER mode is useless. Playlist Title, Song Title, Artist Name and Album name information can be displayed on the Radio LCD or Navigation screen ONLY if Radio Receiver supports MD changer with MD-Text or CD changer with CD-Text.

Audio AUX Input is universal auxiliary input and it enables you to connect uncontrolled Audio aftermarket equipment such as Satellite Radio Receiver, MP3 player, MiniDisc player/changer and etc. This source provides NO control over added aftermarket equipment. Added equipment operates through the factory Audio system and can only be controlled by its own controls.

Audio input dedicated for Apple® iPod™ can only be used for iPod™ integration. Control of iPod™ is done through your head unit or the steering wheel controls. SLI supports both third and fourth generation of iPod™ and iPod™ Mini.

To switch between the SLI sources you need to use "DISC" or "CD" button on the head unit (Diagram below assumes factory CD changer is present).

If your vehicle is equipped with a factory steering wheel control you will be able to switch between the SLI sources using "MODE" button on the steering wheel.
(Diagram below assumes factory CD changer is present).

[TRACK+] and [TRACK-] - Select desired track (song).
[DISC+] and [DISC-] - Select desired playlist.

iPod™ - CD emulation mode
(for Radio integrated into Navigation System)

iPod™ - CD emulation mode with CD-Text support
(for Radio integrated into Navigation System)

iPod™ - CD emulation mode with CD-Text support
(for Radio with own LCD)

iPod™ - CD-MP3 emulation mode with CD-Text support
(Camry 2007)
Available starting May 15,2006

iPod™ - MD changer emulation
now supports 999 songs in the playlist
(available for MD changer emulation ONLY)

SLI Connection diagram (Actual connection depends on the Lexus car model and Audio System configuration)

Connectors Description[/b]

Key Features:
  • Auxiliary Audio input (RCA)
  • Audio input dedicated for iPod™ integration
  • Audio Source selection and iPod™ controls via OEM Radio or
  • Steering Wheel Controls *
  • Artist/Song info displayed on the Navigation screen or Radio display **
  • Track info displayed on the Navigation screen or Radio display
  • Charging iPod battery while driving
  • True Plug & Play solution
  • Dimensions: 3-1/8"W x 1-5/16"H x 5-1/4"D (mounting bracket not included)
  • Made in USA
  • Warranty: 1 year

* Some functional limitations could apply depending on the Lexus model
** Available ONLY for the Lexus models with Radio supports MD Changer with MD-Text or CD Changer with CD-Text

SoundLinQ SLI KIT

MSRP $329.99
Sale Price $299.99

Item includes:
SoundLinQ SLI unit
Audio Harness
iPod™ interface harness
Operation Manual
Installation Manual
1 year Limited Warranty

Prices are subject to change without notice

Please refer to our Application guide for additional information.

For more information about our products please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact Customer Service department

You can download SoundLinQ SLI Installation/Operation Manual rev 3.0 (05/16/06)

Order processing may take up to 5 days.
Quote Reply