Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

With Conservative governments like this, who needs liberals.
Quote | Reply
No, I am not talking about America.

Germany has just massively increased their VAT from 16% to 19%, presumably in an attempt to tax their way to prosperity.

They have a falling and aging population. Budget deficits have been way over EU limits for years. Economic growth has been lousy for years and is turning worse. Unemployment has been over 10% for years. Given their labor laws, I can't even imagine why anyone would want to do something stupid like, say, build a factory there.

So, LR fans. How well do you think a tax increase is going to work out for them? That should fire up investment and employment for sure. Not.
Quote Reply
Re: With Conservative governments like this, who needs liberals. [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a circular to fund some of their issues - the health system charges VAT to patients/hospitals/pharmacies (most EU nations do not, or charge very little), which funds the Ministry of Finance, who then has the cash to fund the Ministry of Health the next year. You'll note that the SPD retained hold of Ministry of Finance, Health, Education and a few other goodies, causing Angie to abandon much of her election platform. If she rides the wave through the next elections, she may be able to oust some of these people and get the labor and other reforms through. That will be a few years however.

I found it interesting how easily the increase was made. Too bad VAT increases cause savings to increase and not investments.
Quote Reply
Re: With Conservative governments like this, who needs liberals. [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Germany has just massively increased their VAT from 16% to 19%, presumably in an attempt to tax their way to prosperity.

But with all that increased tax revenue, I'm sure the government can be trusted to spend it wisely and spread the wealth around. After all, governments always do what's best for the citizens, right? I know I'm counting on Uncle Sam to provide for me:)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
investing 101 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess who said this: Buy when there's blood running in the streets.
Quote Reply
Re: investing 101 [maybourne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baron de Rothschild?
Quote Reply