Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hayden confirmation hearing [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously Art, given the current debate on the wiretapping, phone record collections, etc., what did you expect him to say--that the data mining operations and wiretaps are a waste of taxpayer money? Now I'm not saying he's lying. And I am sure he certainly believes what he says, but don't you think a statement like that served dual purposes? Don't you think that statement is just a wee bit self-serving? It's speculation of the highest order. And to ask someone to disprove what he said is also the height of silliness.

You want evidence to the contrary--I was pretty sure that the 9/11 commission talked about the need for more integrated intelligence collection and distribution. Hence the national director of intelligence or whatever Negroponte's position is officially titled.

Quote:

When the guy who runs the current program goes out on a limb about what that program would have accomplished in the past, you might want to listen.
I don't even know where to begin with that nonsense. When the guy that has the most to gain from the program being a success says it would have been a major success in the past we should give those self serving statements a whole lot of weight? And how is he going out on a limb? He's going to get confirmed and all he's doing it using the confirmation hearings as a means of getting more talking points out for public consumption.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am funny that way. I give successful, authoritative opinions of people working in their area of expertise a lot of respect."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

snort

Here, let me modify that sentence so that everyone can agree about what you do.

"I am funny that way. I give opinions of people that agree with my agenda a lot of respect."

There, that's better.

Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are right. Here you are about to ship out for six months to do nothing but protect my right to stay fat, dumb and happy.

Giving you this line of arguing is just ungrateful and petty.

Please accept my apologies and my thanks for your service to this country.

Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No apology required. I generally don't get too offended by what people say on an internet forum. I just didn't understand your line of reasoning on this one.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden confirmation hearing [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, apology was required.

No point in rehashing reasoning.

Keep yourself and your shipmates safe on your deployment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still waiting for any factual contradiction of Hayden's testimony that the NSA's current program of monitoring select international calls would not have picked up the two hijackers in San Diego.

And I am still waiting for any factual proof that the NSA's current program of monitoring "select international calls" would have prevented 9/11. It's kind of hard to prove a make believe scenario so it all comes down to his attempt to create an element of fear, to get people to approve any and all means to prevent another attack.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden confirmation hearing [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to hazard a guess that Hayden wouldn't have made such a statement to the Intelligence Committee without being completely willing and able to back it up, probably in closed session.

You hopefully noticed that the Senators have not challenged him on this, at least to my knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hopefully noticed that the Senators have not challenged him on this, at least to my knowledge.

I do find it odd that he is not being challenged but I still maintain the best he can say is that they may have been able to identify the hijackers but there is no way he can say that would have prevented anything. OBL was well known for years but we weren't able to stop him, yet miraculously, if we identified 2 Muslims living here with shady pasts, the entire incident could have been prevented?

That is a real stretch.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden confirmation hearing [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to review the quote again, but I don't think his claim was that the San Diego identification would have prevented the whole incident.

He is not being challenged for a good reason. He has the evidence to back up his statements and the Senators on the Intelligence Committee know it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would have to review the quote again, but I don't think his claim was that the San Diego identification would have prevented the whole incident.
If he's not making the statement with the idea that the incident couldn't be prevented, then it makes the statement even less worthwhile and it doesn't do a thing in terms of offering an endorsement of the program.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden confirmation hearing [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, have it your way. Pegging two of 19 hijackers prior to 9/11 would have surely been pointless.

Did you think that way on 9/12/01 too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the point of it was to prevent attacks. Identification without prevention is the goal?

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply

Prev Next