Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When "Protectionism Law's" go wrong.
Quote | Reply
So I'm listening to the radio and they have a lawyer answering questions.

A guy calls up and say's "I have a 63 Ford Falcon. I was driving the other day, was pulled over, and given a ticket for no seat belt....The car was not manufactured with a seat belt".

Turns out that, in this state anyway, IL, that cops MUST write a ticket if someone is not wearing one. They have no disgresion on this matter.

So this guy ahs to either pay teh 50$ ticket or waste half a day to get out of it.

I realize that "Zero tolerance" laws makes things easier, but it seems to me that they cause more problems than they are worth.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: When "Protectionism Law's" go wrong. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time believing the law was not written without exemption for older cars. So a cop would have to write tickets to all the model Ts in a parade too? Sounds like a poorly written law.

The other side is I would bet for $50 and a couple hours work you could install a simple lap belt :) But you are right, there are many examples of how zero tolerance laws end up having unintended consequences
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The police officer was wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------

625 ILCS 5/12-603.1 - Driver and passenger required to use safety belts, exceptions and penalty.

(a) Each driver and front seat passenger of a motor vehicle operated on a street or highway in this State shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt...

(b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply to any of the following:

5. A motor vehicle with a model year prior to 1965.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: When "Protectionism Law's" go wrong. [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, does the guy still have to go to court? or can he just send the ticket in with the attached info?

Better question, whats' to keep cops from writing tickets for anything and forcing people to go to court? Seems like a decent money maker as I'm sure a certain percentage of people will just pay the 50$ because it's not worth the hassle and it won't go against your insurance.

Of course this was on the radio and that's probably about as reliable as the internet.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he needs to go to court armed with a current copy of the Illinois statutes on the motor vehicle code. Or, maybe he can call the local prosecutor's office and find out who the prosecuter is (assuming they've assigned one already) and negotiate a dismissal. I'm sure the prosecuter would rather not spend any time on a loser of a case.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply