Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Don't ride your bike in Los Gatos
Quote | Reply

I have an idiot neighbor who takes his dirt bike out for warmup runs up and down the street at 6am on a Sunday morning before heading off to god knows where to destroy some other unfortunate soul's peace and quiet. I've often thought of trying something like this.

Los Gatos trio arrested in assault on dirt biker

Suzanne Herel, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

(05-17) 10:38 PDT LOS GATOS - Three Los Gatos residents have been arrested after they allegedly strung a rope across a road and pulled it taut when a dirt biker approached, causing the rider to be thrown off his motorcycle and sustain serious injuries, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.

On May 16, deputies arrested Donald Bryant, 62, Donna Olsen, 46, and Edward Anderson, 48, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury.

The incident occurred around 8 p.m. on May 6, when a group of dirt bikers was returning home from a ride in the hills along Loma Chiquita Road, said sheriff spokesman Deputy Serg Palanov.

Bryant, Olsen and Anderson had tied a rope to a tree on one side of the road and waited in bushes on the other side, he said.

When the first rider approached the rope traveling at about 20- to 25 mph, the suspects allegedly pulled the rope taut.

The rope caught the rider in the jaw and threw him off the bike, Palanov said.

The second rider, who saw his friend lying on the ground on top of his motorcycle, slowed to about 5 mph and, as he was coming to a stop, saw the suspects pull the rope taut again.

He was able to stop in time and sustained only minor injuries from hitting the rope, Palanov said.

The first rider was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, where he remained in a coma for five days.

He suffered severe bone damage and tissue loss and required more than 500 stitches and titanium plates inserted in his face.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact sheriff's Detective Dean Baker at (408) 808-4500.

E-mail Suzanne Herel at sherel@sfchronicle.com.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ride your bike in Los Gatos [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a story about a guy who, in an effort to prevent joggers from taking a shortcut across a corner of his land, strung fine piano wire across the path at shin level. Piano wire cuts skin and tissue...

I just don't get people like that.

--. --- .... . .-. . .-.-.- .- .-.. --- .... .- .- -. -.. -- .- .... .- .-.. --- .-.-.-
19° 38’ 11.08” N 155° 59’ 30.66” W
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ride your bike in Los Gatos [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I remember reading a story about a guy who, in an effort to prevent joggers from taking a shortcut across a corner of his land, strung fine piano wire across the path at shin level. Piano wire cuts skin and tissue...

I just don't get people like that.

I bet he's one of them Minutemen. ;-)

Cypriot rebels back in the early 50s realised that British troop carriers or scout cars often had hatches at the top where guys would stick their heads out to get a nice breeze. They would string piano wire across the street at just the right height.

Took a few headless soldiers before the British started installing poles on the front of the vehicles to cut the wires.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ride your bike in Los Gatos [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are lucky that they didn't kill the guy or that the remaing bikers didn't yank 'em out of the bushes and beat them.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]