Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with europe converter
Quote | Reply
well I am in italy, having a great bike tour but can't recharge my computer. I have a converter, has 2 settings: either hi 1600watts ior low 50 watts. i plugged in the 50watts, it works for a minute, then stops. should i use 1600 watts to charge a laptop??? i don't want to fry it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with europe converter [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use this guide when traveling.. hope this helps http://www.travelproducts.com/electricity_guide.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whatever you do, please don't use the 1600w setting.. most laptop battery chargers and ac adpters are dual voltage. cuz of this, they can be used with only a plug adapter for country you'll be visiting.. all you need is a basic adapter, euro to us..
Quote Reply
Re: Help with europe converter [oc3ram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok.. i need to find one. i also need a three prung to 2 prung switch added to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto what oc3ram said - in general, w/a laptop, you only need a plug adaptor. most laptops have two cords; one that goes from the computer to the transformer; and one that goes from the transformer to the wall. you need to either get a plug adaptor that you'll put on the end of cord 2; or a cord that will replace cord 2. a hardware store should have the first option; a computer store should have the second option.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with europe converter [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As they said above, 99% of all laptops have a 100-220V 50-60hz transformer / power supply you got with the laptop. All you really need is a new cord from the laptop powersupply to the wall. Good chance this is easier to find than the plug adapter. Go to any media superstore etc, or computer store or any place where an italian would go to get a new cord for their laptop and you should find one. This is what I did for my travels in Germany, but it looks like Italy uses a different format.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply