Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flutie Retires
Quote | Reply
What a gamer. I loved that guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/...rov=ap&type=lgns

Re: Flutie Retires [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the most exciting QB's to watch. You never knew what he was going to do and it usually turned out really well. I saw him in Toronto a bunch of times and loved it. He even turned me into a Bills fan when he played with them, until they screwed him.
Class act
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flutie's the kind of guy that we wish all athletes would be. He had a great career. His dropkick this past season was really cool, but nothing beats the Hail Mary. I was in high school in the Boston area when that happened. I didn't see it live, but it was huge news for a long, long time. I really like the way that the Boston fans supported him throughout his career.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Doug Flutie is an example of how "winning isn't always the most important thing" [Despite claims]. Plenty of teams could have won more games with Flutie as their QB ... but they spent more resources/time/money trying to develop players that fit the profile.

Some times you just have to ask, "Can this guy play?" and/or "Can this guy help us win?", and if the answer is yes, you play the guy.

Can anyone imagine how much it would suck to be the starting QB on the same team as Doug Flutie? ... everyone loves the guy, he makes things happen, plays for a cause, etc.

Would have been nice to see Flutie get the chance to "fail miserably", just as many of the big, tall, strong-armed, prototype QB's did.

I wonder just how long the list of "promising" QB's that have failed miserably in the NFL is during Doug Flutie's career? Think there's over 50 names?

I'm not saying that Flutie would have guided teams to 12-4 records or made the playoffs every year, just that I would have lied for him to have had the chance. For the most part, he played well and made things happen when he had a chance.

Be interesting to see what kind of analyst he will be.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Flutie Retires [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another QB (from my alma mater) that just wins but is a statistical nightmare is Trent Dilfer.

Quote | Reply
The best Mullett in sports

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think of him in the same class as Tiger Woods, but maybe less intense image wise then Tiger. Flutie is a classic competitor, like Tiger. He just always seemed to go about it with less fanfare then all the rest, a lot like John Stockton of the Utah Jazz, another equally intense competitor. Those three guys are great role models in my opinion.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad went to Boston College, so when I was a kid I was a complete Doug Flutie fanatic. My dad and I flew to Boston for every game, went to Florida, Tennessee and Dallas for bowl games, and I had a different Doug Flutie shirt for every day of the week. I don't think there is another college athlete who has done close to as much for his school as Flutie did - BC had not been to a bowl game for 40-years before he got there. He was barely recruited, and BC had actually rescinded his scholarship offer at one point. He was fifth string QB, and then everyone got hurt or played horribly in a blowout loss to Penn State, so they stuck Flutie in as a freshman, and BC became a completely different football program.

He also completed the Escape From Alcatraz Tri without training for it!
Quote Reply