Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Apple peeps: Home "network"? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you already have a Netgear wireless router, why not put the DSL into it, and then connect the two laptops using the Netgear router? I'm doing essentially the same thing with my iMac and my PC laptop (though the iMac is connected by wire) using a Linksys wireless router.

Seems like the AirPort Extreme would merely be a replacement for the Netgear router. Unless you want it for the built-in print server or the remote PPP login to your home network...

And at $200 (at the Apple Store), it seems a bit pricey... although i must admit it's much cooler looking than my Linksys...

I picked up a (wired) USB print server for $20 on sale...

Am I missing something here?

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Last edited by: TwinDad: May 14, 06 17:48
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite sure but I'm sure interested in the answer. We've currently got a desktop PC wired with RoadRunner and a Linksys router that sends the wireless signal to the iBook that I;m currently typing on. I'm considering ditching the desktop in the very near future and replacing it with a new MacBookPro as my main computer.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need the airport extreme.

I have my DSL plugged directly into my netgear wireless router and then 2 XP laptops and a Mac Mini talking to it wirelessly.

I also have a Airport Express connected but that is so I can stream music into my stereo - it's not doing anything else (though it does have a USB port and I could hook the printer to it if I wanted the printer by the stereo).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DSL to wireless router, laptops connect to that wirelessly, use a cable to connect the G4 to the router too.

I have this setup at home, and use the G4 as a server for music and video, backup, torrenting etc. When I'm home I can use the network to do nightly and weekly backups automagically to the server. Handy if you ever lose/break a laptop.

J.
Quote Reply