Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Anybody paint their garage floor? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Rust Oleums kits on my garage and absolutely love it. It has been on for 3 years now and I've had no problem with it coming of on the car tires or anything like that and my wife and I both park in the garage. I also work on my bikes in there and oil just wipes up with a rag. Hose the garage and squeege it out and it looks like new.

The kits come with a video, cleaner, the two part epoxy paint and flakes to sprinkle on top. The flakes are not for grip, just appearance so it is slippery when wet but that make it easy to clean. They have an industrial floor kit with a sand topping if you really want grip.

This whole thing was easy to do. I scrubbed it out with the cleaner and let it dry a week then painted it the next weekend. Just mix up the paint, edge with a brush and roll on the middle with an ordinary roller with long handle. My garage floor was 16 years old at the time so the concrete was well cured but it had some dirt and oil spots. The cleaner got all that stuff off, I think that's key.

Home Depot didn't sell this kit at the time, I got it at a local lumber and home place here in San Diego but I know Home Depot sells Rust Oleum so they may have it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Lowe's version - some 2 part epoxy variety. As previously mentioned, the epoxy ones are NOT grippy and are slick when wet - car tires won't slip but wet shoes will. There are all sorts of mix-ins and such to help with that, but then you make cleaning more difficult - take your pick.

I've been very happy with mine. Used muriatic acid to prep the concrete and that was some FUN stuff. Ours was new construction with limited time - no bubbling or problems yet so its still good.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the home depot kit in my workshop and loved it, very easy to use and I only waited about 6 hours from the acid cleaning to the top coat - sprinked fairy dust on that came with the kit and it looks great. Now 3 years old with heavy use and not bubbles or lifting. The key is to really clean and prep as per the instructions.

BTW also did my pick up truck with a roll on bed liner with a similar process and saved $500.:-)
Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody paint their garage floor? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was going to do mine, started researching on the net. If a plastic liner was not put down beneath the cement, moisture can build up and the paint chips up. I had problems with staining on the uphill garage wall so I'm glad I read up first. The article said to duct tape a large square of plastic down for a week and then check for condensation. I was bummed we have epoxy floors at work that look great even with heavy fork truck traffic.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody paint their garage floor? [StevenH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve I can guarantee that plastic was not put down below my cement and still do not have a problem - and I can also guarantee that if you put a plastic sheet over any surface and tape it down you wil get condensation - this is an old survival trick (ex military). Hope this helps. graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
magic paint
No such thing as magic paint. Everybody wants it, nobody makes it.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cleaners that they have these days will really make it not much work. You have to prep the concrete for the epoxy anyway so if you use the right cleaner it will definately get most of those stains up. Muriatic acid is serious stuff and will totally eat up the gunk that may be stuck on your concrete.

Its a couple-days project with only a couple hours of real labor so what do you have to lose? $50 worth of supplies goes a long way towards maintainability.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone want to paint any part of their garage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take a long pull from my Red Stripe and respond, "I like to think we have the brightest primer in Sacramento."

Sometimes you confuse the hell out of me.