Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your top 5 back-to-back albums [just jack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking which artists had the best one-two punch doesn't seem arbitrary to me. I think it's a more interesting question that just naming the best two albums. In many cases if not most, the questions result in two different sets of answers.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Your top 5 back-to-back albums [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Asking which artists had the best one-two punch doesn't seem arbitrary to me. I think it's a more interesting question that just naming the best two albums. In many cases if not most, the questions result in two different sets of answers.

I dig your question. Maybe arbitrary is the wrong word. Without the one two punch, Radiohead and Iron Maiden would have made my list, probably a few others. It wasn’t meant as a criticism, just the opposite. Maybe focus is a better word than arbitrary.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just jack wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

U2 - Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree (or alternatively The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby).

Does Rattle and Hum not count as an album?

Hmmmm....

It's basically half a live album from the film and half a studio record. Judgment call, I guess.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just jack wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

U2 - Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree (or alternatively The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby).

Does Rattle and Hum not count as an album?

My ruling would be Rattle and Hum counts as an album. There's a lot of covers and live stuff, but if you strip that away there's about an albums worth of new material.... Desire, Silver and Gold, When Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You.... I think you could make a pretty good argument for Joshua Tree -> Rattle and Hum...
Quote Reply
Re: Your top 5 back-to-back albums [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Judgment call, I guess.

Including EPs...

Alice in Chains: Dirt, Jar of Flies

I think they were consecutive?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Including EPs...

Alice in Chains: Dirt, Jar of Flies

I think they were consecutive?

I don't care if it's an EP. Jar of Flies is worthy of this list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just jack wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Note: for 5 consecutive albums, I'd go with Iron Maiden Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Power Slave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and would argue that that might be the most popular answer among metal true metal heads.

Agree with this bigly. Iron Maiden is the epitome of heavy metal for me but my two favorite albums are Number of the Beast (82) and Somewhere in Time (86) and thusly don’t satisfy Sphere’s interestingly arbitrary rule.

I'd have to go with Iron Maiden and Killers, much preferred their original line up and saw them a fair few times in London, before they took off with Dickinson at the helm. A cross between punk and heavy metal.
Quote Reply
Re: Your top 5 back-to-back albums [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t argue with that. I think it has much to do with me being introduced to IM as a 13 year old budding metal head with Somewhere in Time and then seeing the album cover for Nimber of the Beast. It’s a powerful imprint that still resonates in my 50 year old mind.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clash; Give 'Em Enough Rope, London Calling
Wilco: Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
X; Los Angeles, Wild Gift
Black Flag: Damaged, My War
The Band: Music from Big Pink, The Band
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just jack wrote:
Can’t argue with that. I think it has much to do with me being introduced to IM as a 13 year old budding metal head with Somewhere in Time and then seeing the album cover for Nimber of the Beast. It’s a powerful imprint that still resonates in my 50 year old mind.

I think it's almost always going to be whatever album/time period that you discovered a band that sticks with you. I'm just a few years older than you, but Piece of Mind will always be my top Maiden album because that was the first I heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Iron Maiden and Radiohead but to me it’s more song specific. Besides number of the beast I don’t. Think I’ve listen to a single album of either band straight through. Radiohead took years to appreciate because I didn’t like the song Creep when it was popular and didn’t recall other songs by them on the radio. It wasn’t until carpooling I realized I pretty much like every other song by Radiohead just didn’t know some of them I had heard on the radio were them. But as great as their songs are I can’t name the albums they are on to say this album and this album are back to back greats.
Last edited by: TheYellowJester: May 21, 24 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Your top 5 back-to-back albums [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plead for Mercy from the lavender room! I was posting late last night when I was very tired. Please accept my revised list!

Metallica Master of puppets/ and justice for all
Judas priest screaming for vengeance/ defenders of the Faith
Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas flood/ couldn't stand the weather
Triumph allied forces / never surrender
Van Halen women and children first/ fair warning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
End of High School, beginning of College ~'77, '78, '79

Boston - Boston, Don't Look Back
Cheap Trick - In Color, Heaven Tonight
The Cars - The Cars, Candy-O